4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Really Good Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:23 AM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Really Good Drivers

i was watching this show on Speed channel, it was american muscle car or something like that.The guy took anolder car(dont rember what) outon a test drive, he'd lift his foot 12' above the shifter before he'd shift and then stomp the hell out of the clucth peda. Thought he was go through the damn floor board lol....

Guess you had to be there kinda deals.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:22 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

rev matching uses clutch, and has no use in a drag race....?

also daily driving, just know your rpms for gears at speed
Old 01-06-2007, 02:30 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

What are you doing when you only press the clutch in a little ways and keep on the throttle?? You're spinning and glazing that clutch pretty nasty... True Rev matching is by pumping throttle while dumping the clutch, keeping the RPMs in your target powerband... Dumping the clutch is a lot easier on the clutch than it is on the driveline, but drag racing isn't good for drivetrains anyway.. By only half disengaging, it's actually going to make a rat's nest out of the disc..

JT

Old 01-06-2007, 02:40 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

your dumping the clutch, not rev matching, rev matching is dpressing the clutch and matching the expected rpms for a down shift, making a smooth transition... your just talking about taching and dumping the clutch... which you will do at the track
Old 01-06-2007, 02:51 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I guess you didn't understand what I said.. Rev matching isn't for just downshifting.. It's for all shifting.. Think of the term..

If you're slipping it on a rev-match then you're just wasting your clutch... When I race, I don't need to worry about smoothness, only engagement... Besides, if you're slipping it, and haven't practiced it, then you're taking way too long on shifts..

If you ever watch some pro-racers, when they rev match, they just tap the gas a couple times...

In fact, there are things out there, MSD is one of them I think, that sort of works like an Anti-lag would on a Turboed car.. It keep the RPMs at a certain level when the clutch is pressed and WOT, so you don't over-rev, which is in turn, a sort of Rev-matching; keeping the engine in it's optimal RPM for shifts near redline..

JT
Old 01-06-2007, 04:29 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

I would like to know how to drive a stick faster than the typical driver. Any advice is appreciated. OK

Dont shift at 2 grand, instead shift at about 6,500 rpms..... I dont double clutch or power shift or anything fancy yet. Most power-bands start just after 2,000 rpms and go to red-line DUH! First gear for mewas a little slow when I first got my snake. My sister's b/f changed all that my first night I had it! haha anyway, the higher the rpm the more instant "go" you're going to have. Thats while your already moving.

Starting at a stopsign/stoplight isnt much different. Put it in first and rev the engine to about 2,500 (well within the power-band but not so far into it that you have to shift to 2nd once you start moving).

There's also what I call "power/down shifting" (I dont know what its really called if anything) Lets say your rollong along and some punk ricer passes you and revs his 4banger at you; down shift into a lower gear causeing your rpms to instantly increase instantly putting you in the powerband andtherefor giving you more power. Choosing which gear to downshift into will come with practice, knowing how fast your already going, and what gear you're in (2nd and 3rd are my choices; 2nd on the street and 3rd on the highway) Once you downshift, you will refer back to the already in motion shifting for guidance.