4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

rear main seal replacement and trans seal

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:58 PM
bmschoening

Default rear main seal replacement and trans seal

I'm new here, so if I need to change my writing format let me know. Forgive me for the following novel.

I have a 2000 GT 5-speed. Two problems.

1) The tranny is leaking. Had a seal replaced about a month ago, some sort of dust cover is what the mechanic said. Cost me ~165. Still leaking. Mechanic now says it is another seal further in on the tail of the tranny. Said take it to a tranny shop and gave me a ford diagram for my tranny. According to the diagram, there are only 2 seals on the whole thing, rightnext tothe other. I'm NOT taking it to a tranny place. Does anyone know which seal he was talking about? Does any know how to change it? Do I have to drop the tranny to do it? How long can I safely wait until I have to do the work(a little broke right now)as long as I maintain fluid level?

Which leads me to my next problem.................

2) The same mechanic said the rear main seal was leaking. I plan to double check this before I change it. I have read about removal and installation of this seal in several forums. Sounds do-able. Anything specific I should know about this process specific to a 4.6 as opposed to 5.0. Do autoparts stores carry the appropriate seal tool for this?

From what I gather, the rear main can wait a rather long while since it is not leaking much. However, if I have to drop the tranny to replace the other seal, I will probably kill 2 birds w/1 stone. The clutch was replaced just over a year ago.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated. May be tomorrow before I can get back here.

I also have a 65 halfbreed. Will upload pictures when time permits.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:21 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: rear main seal replacement and trans seal

Sounds like your tailshaft housing seal is bad, or both of the seals at the tailshaft housing are bad... Not hard to replace the rear-most one, you just need to remove the driveshaft, and pull the old seal, tap the new one in, and put the driveshaft back on..

The inner most one, is a little more difficult, but not much.. You must remove the tailshaft housing, which can be a pain, since you need to remove the tranny support, support the tranny, and then remove the tailshaft housing.. Mostly, this is just time consuming, but a couple of the bolts are a little tough to get at, IIRC..

Now, your rear main seal can be a pain because yes, you do have to drop the tranny, and remove the clutch/flywheel or Torque converter and Flex plate.. I may be mistaken in thinking this, but I also believe you need to drop the oil pan, but someone else could probably answer that a little more specific.. It's a shame it wasn't done when the clutch was being done, since you're only 1 or 2 more steps away from doing it...

JT
Old 01-06-2007, 06:28 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

You don't have to drop the oil pan, but everything else GodAmGT00 said was right. It may sound dumb, but everytime I drop my trans, I replace my TOB. It's like $40-$50 and it's just a piece of mind for me. It's extremely easy and because you have everything out, you might as well. It'll end up making noise sooner or later anyway.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM
bmschoening

Thanks GodAmGT00, 96GT226410. Are there any specific tools or techniques you would use to remove the seals? How far in is that tailshaft housing seal? Will I be able to recognize it? Is it an immediate threat to my tranny?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 07:06 PM
bmschoening

What's TOB? and IIRC?
Old 01-06-2007, 07:33 PM
bmschoening

I just talked to someone who said the tailshaft housing wasn't removable on the T-45. He also recommended replacing the bushing in there while I was doing it.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:52 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Ahh, I see, I must've thought you had an Auto... My bad..

Either way, I don't understand what seal it is then, unless it's the front tranny seal, but you'd know that...

Seal removal is easy.. I have an actual seal puller, or seal hook, but you can use a screw driver, and gently pry inside the edge of the seal, and it should come out w/ a little finesse...

JT
Old 01-07-2007, 05:21 PM
bmschoening

Thanks