4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

hard-shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 07:50 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default hard-shift

I bought my car about a month ago, had it checked out by a mechanic and he said everything was fine. Before I bought it I kept it over the weekend, and if the mechanic said it was crap the lot would let me return it and if they said it was good, then we finalized the deal. During that weekend before the it went to the shop I was going about 4mph about to park and the whining noise the car had got really the F loud for like 15 seconds. The whining noise sounds kind of like something is spinning. Well I told the shop about that and they said not to worry about it and the car is fine. Well, for about a week or so the car has been hard-shifting, which in an auto thats a sign of abuse. During the past month or so I haven't been hard on the car at all. That one video was about the hardest I've been on it. It's seen a few burnouts by me, but cerntantly not abuse! It's constantly hard-shifting. Especially from 1st to 2nd...2nd to 3rd isnt so bad, but 3rd to 4th is noticeable, and you're not supposed to feel that at all. It started doing it about a week ago, this isn't at WOT or anything, just normal DDing. So, what could be causing this? Do you guys think it was abused? I'm the 3rd owner. If it's normal then why did it start in this past week, and not do it for the three weeks. ANY input is appereciated. Thanks guys. Oh, and I've never manualy shifted it or done ANY neutral drops.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: hard-shift

Manually shifting an auto won't hurt it, so don't worry about that.

The first thing I'd do is change the fluid (including the torque converter). During the change, you'll be able to see what's in the pan.

The hard shift just means pressure is building up before the shift is made. Many things can do this, some purposeful, some not.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:45 AM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

Yeah, that just sounds like some dirty fluid to me...
Old 01-07-2007, 02:23 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

38 views and only 2 inputs[&:]cmon guys

but thanks you two
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 PM
joeunmd

SVTBill:

Did you get this straightened out? I don't have an answer for you unfortunantly. I have an 01 GT Vert Auto, 29,000 miles, just purchased. Mine shifts hard from 2nd dropping into 4th.As I accelerate up to 40 mph then let off the gas it drops hard to 4thas ifitdidn't like me taking my foot of the gas. Really annoying as most roads here are 35 to 45 speed limits. Iguess a fluid change may help this as the maintenance schedule suggests one at 30,000. Did you do one anddid it help? Anyone else have any input?This is my first auto.

Thanks - Joe
Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

I SERIOUSLY doubt the fluid, dirty or not, is causing this.

Before you change the fluid how many miles are on the car? The only time I EVER blew anauto tranny was in a 96 mitsu eclipse with 90k on the clock.Coincidently it blew 7 days after I got the trans fluid replaced. I called a couple of shops to get the best priceand they wouldn't service the trans because it has 90k on the clock and had never been serviced before, I guess I should have listened to them instead of Jiffy Lube. OOPS!!!

They say if the fluid is not changed regularly don't touch it.

Edit: Auto trannys are crazy sophisticated. I'd call around. Describe the symptoms your having and they should be able to give you a somewhat accurate price on the fix.

First time I've ever heard of a problem with an auto tranny on such a new car.