4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I went to a local auto parts store today and was very suprised

Old 01-07-2007, 05:31 AM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

Default I went to a local auto parts store today and was very suprised

A buddie of mine works there and i needed some oil for a change so i stopped by. He goes u should really talk to my manager and mustangs and so the manager comes over and we start to chat. I asked if he could get me a deal on an exhaust system for a GT (because im looking at gettin one) and he asked from what manfacuter. I reply SLP or Borla and he comes back with only use MagnaFlow or Flowmaster becasue they will yeild the highest performace outa the 281. He said that the SLP is very biast towards Chevy along with Borla. He said as far as quality goes that SLP sucks for the mustang. Anybody think this guy is wrong or no?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:40 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I went to a local auto parts store today and was very suprised

Well I have SLP Loudmouth 1s(just the mufflers) and the quality seems good to me. From what I've heard SLP is a higher quality brand than Flowmaster. I do believe that SLP is more F-Body orientated but I'm not sure....
Old 01-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

SLP moved to the Mustang since the F-body went away.

Flowmaster is not real high on the improves performance list. He said maggot flow and flowstopper just because those are the brands he sells. I have a maggot flow system on my Explorer. Nice and quiet....but I doubt it's a real good flowing brand in the lower price ranges.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:07 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

I personally LOVE my SLP loudmouths. Very good quality if you ask me.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Magnaflows are straight through mufflers, I don't see how they could be anything but one of the best flowing mufflers on the market, right with SLP & other open designs.

IMO, many of the Mustang fans were a little offended that SLP only gavea crap about them after GM stopped making the F-body. There has never been quality issues with SLP & Mustangs. I remember when they started offering cat-backs and people here bitched about them only coming to Ford because of the F-body ending production. Typical fan-boy stuff, obviously this manager is blinded by the Oval.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: straitwangin

A buddie of mine works there and i needed some oil for a change so i stopped by. He goes u should really talk to my manager and mustangs and so the manager comes over and we start to chat. I asked if he could get me a deal on an exhaust system for a GT (because im looking at gettin one) and he asked from what manfacuter. I reply SLP or Borla and he comes back with only use MagnaFlow or Flowmaster becasue they will yeild the highest performace outa the 281. He said that the SLP is very biast towards Chevy along with Borla. He said as far as quality goes that SLP sucks for the mustang. Anybody think this guy is wrong or no?
The guy is a moron. There is a reason why he works at an autoparts store
Old 01-07-2007, 07:54 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

Werd^^ I personally like Flowmaster. But I have a few buddies with Magnaflow and SLP and I like them too.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:36 AM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Open headers for the win!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:30 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

They probably have a higher markup so more money in his pocket. Never heard such a thing
Old 01-07-2007, 12:34 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: straitwangin

The guy is a moron. There is a reason why he works at an autoparts store
Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Flowmaster is not a great performing muffler. Besides that he's a moron for even thinking a cat-back is going do much of anything for performance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I went to a local auto parts store today and was very suprised