4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How difficult to change tranny and gear fluid?

Old 09-26-2004, 12:16 AM
deesgt
2nd Gear Member

Default How difficult to change tranny and gear fluid?

I'm close to winning and Ebay auction for Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 gear oil and Synchro-Max manual transmission fluid. I already have Royal Purple motor oil and changing that is no biggie, but this will be my first time attempting to change the others. Is there some trick of the trade for 4.6 engines that will make the job smoother or should this be left to a professional....or at least a shadetree that I trust? Thanks guys!

Derrick
Old 09-26-2004, 12:57 AM
NicksMeanGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How difficult to change tranny and gear fluid?

well i've never messed w/ my gear oil, but i did do my tranny oil in may. it would suck if you had to do it on jackstands. i did it in our underground work pit at work and it made the task a TON easier. basically just drain it, then fill her up. sounds easier than it is. i had to use a pump to get the oil back in thru the filler hole, when its full it'll overflow. u can also take the shifter off and fill thru there, but u need someone underneath knowing when it's full. plus, i had to drive my car back home after work and the silicone needs time to cure when you put the shifter back in. good luck!

Nick
Old 09-26-2004, 05:02 AM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

The gear oil is easy to change. When I did my gears I took of the diff. cover and the fluid poured out into the pan. You need to put some goop on the cover when you bolt it back on for a good seal. Then you unscrew the plug (3/8 inch driver) and fill the fluid until it starts spilling out a bit. You may want to put in some Post-trac fluid before you fill it up. That stops the gears from making noise.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:45 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

yeah the gear oil is a breaze but the tranny fluid is a little akward easy to drain but a little bit of a bitch to put back in but you could just go to your local auto parts store and just buy a suction gun which will make it tons easier just a little time consuming
Old 02-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Melectrok
2nd Gear Member

Would you get more tranny fluid out if you tilt the car slightly in the direction of the drain. Or doesnt this make a diffrence?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

how you gonna tilt the car sidewayz [&:]

besides, draining it isnt the difficult part - its putting it back in. Easiest way is with a pump so you can squeeze the fluid in the top hole. Its such a pain without the right **** some folks fill the tranny through the shifter area inside the car. Just fill it up till the fluid is just below the top fill hole.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Richman
1st Gear Member

how much to have the changed at a shop?
Old 02-02-2005, 03:30 PM
sanitarium16
2nd Gear Member

Spend the extra money and get it done at ford. It will cost you a little over $100.00. They put in genuine ford Mercon V transmission fluid and filter/gasket and its done right. DONT BRING IT TO JIFFY LUBE or places like that to get it done.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:27 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: sanitarium16

Spend the extra money and get it done at ford. It will cost you a little over $100.00. They put in genuine ford Mercon V transmission fluid and filter/gasket and its done right. DONT BRING IT TO JIFFY LUBE or places like that to get it done.
I think he's talking about a manual trans
Old 02-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Melectrok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta[&:]
how you gonna tilt the car sidewayz
Say jack one side up 6 inchs and the other side up 18 inches for example. Will doing this help much or not?

I realize i need a pump to put some in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How difficult to change tranny and gear fluid?