4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What should I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Boxman

Default What should I do first?

Hello everyone. I have a 2001 GT convertible with 63000 miles on it. It is completely stock. I want to know which mod (air intake, exhausts, tuner, etc.,) would give me the most HP gain. I want my car to remain dependable with the good mileage. I am wanting to reach around 300-330 HP. Can you guys help me out?? Thanks in advance.

Boxman
Old 01-09-2007, 12:11 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What should I do first?

i would suggest freeing up your exhaust first, more power and mean sound

300-330 rear wheel HP or flywheel HP?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

Welcome to MF and Mustangs in general. I would start with a H or X pipe and a catback exhaust. Then I would go to a short shifter, under drive pulleys, and then gears. It will take alot more than I mentioned to get the HP that you're wanting but this is a good starting point the 2valve mustang isn't very responsive to mods like those. The search function at the top of the page will help you out alot too Again, welcome. Oh yeah, almost forgot, there are some free mods too. Remove the air silencer from the filter housing, throttle cable mod, etc. They're listed in a sticky at the top of the 4.6 page.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!.. I'd say get exhaust. It'll give you more horsepower and sould a lot better than a stock mustang.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:13 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

yea just get the beast to sound good first. get a catback( it wont give you much if any hp but it sounds like it does) and then get a midpipe. o/r or high flow it really doesnt matter. i got full exhaust for my first mods. longtube headers, o/r h and a catback. i loved it. then i got gears then a short shifter. then intake then a tune.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:16 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

Welcome, plan your mods before you do them. I agree with what everyone else has said but if you are planning on going with long tube headers (LT’s) than do the header and X-pipe at the same time. If you are not going to do LT’s then just do a full exhaust from you stock manifolds back. Shortly headers don’t give you the power gains of the LT’s and you will have to have two different X-pipes.