4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

AFTERMARKET HOOD QUESTION about hood pins

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:01 PM
muzikp
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: AFTERMARKET HOOD QUESTION about hood pins

I don'tknow the track vs. street thing applies here. You will likely be getting 80mphwind dragon the freeway so not that far off from the 100mph wind drag at the track.

Doe's the place that sells your hood recommend the pins. I agree the pins look bad but not as bad as the damage the hood flying up doe's to the top of your windshield.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:02 PM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

Ibought a spyder hood from ABC for my old car and the latch wasn't reinforced. I never had any problems, held tight at around 110.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:02 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

My hood flew up and smashed my windsheild when i was going 60. So yeah, i would highly recommend hood pins. It ruined the hood and put 3 big dents in the top of my car.They may be ugly but they'll keep that **** from happening again.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:04 PM
muzikp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93 FHP SSP

ORIGINAL: ericdiver

I've had two hoods on two different stangs fly up and smack the windshield. It can do some serious damage.
ok at a track, and was the latch reinforced?? stock hood? 2 years later?? right away???
Both times off the track going about 60 to 70 miles an hour. The hood was latched and I still can't figure out what happened. It was a cervini 2 1/2" cowl hood. First one was about a year after the hood was put on. Second was about 4 1/2 years later.
Was the latch area on your hoodsreinforced with metal or was it all fiberglass?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:04 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: muzikp

I don'tknow the track vs. street thing applies here. You will likely be getting 80mphwind dragon the freeway so not that far off from the 100mph wind drag at the track.

Doe's the place that sells your hood recommend the pins. I agree the pins look bad but not as bad as the damage the hood flying up doe's to the top of your windshield.
well true on the track street thing, but the time thing applies because i think the vibrations after years can weaken it, so its just safe to say at this point that they are fine, just check the cracks around the latch and use resin and fiberglass with metal when it starts to show a sign of weakening
Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 PM
muzikp
2nd Gear Member

well true on the track street thing, but the time thing applies because i think the vibrations after years can weaken it, so its just safe to say at this point that they are fine, just check the cracks around the latch and use resin and fiberglass with metal when it starts to show a sign of weakening
Maybe -butbased on my fiberglass hood that wouldn't be my opinion. I'd use the pins.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:14 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

Maybe -butbased on my fiberglass hood that wouldn't be my opinion. I'd use the pins.
well if it flys off it flys off, i know this hood is metal reinforced latch so i am 85% comfortable with it not flying off.... thats why i have full coverage i guess..... but i will post some pics when i get it painted and on
Old 01-09-2007, 07:18 PM
93 FHP SSP
4th Gear Member

I've had two hoods on two different stangs fly up and smack the windshield. It can do some serious damage.
ok at a track, and was the latch reinforced?? stock hood? 2 years later?? right away???
Both times off the track going about 60 to 70 miles an hour. The hood was latched and I still can't figure out what happened. It was a cervini 2 1/2" cowl hood. First one was about a year after the hood was put on. Second was about 4 1/2 years later.
Was the latch area on your hoodsreinforced with metal or was it all fiberglass?
It was all fiberglass but the latch was still attached to the hood when the hood came up.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:18 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

this is what i am going after when i am done.....
Old 01-09-2007, 07:21 PM
93 FHP SSP
4th Gear Member

I love that hood.

Quick Reply: AFTERMARKET HOOD QUESTION about hood pins