4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6L stock engines and Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:48 AM
madmaxmechanic

Default 4.6L stock engines and Superchargers

Ok, I want the honest, no BS answers from all you pony car lovers. a 4.6L SOHC engine, 2001-2004, with CAST pistons and stock internals running a blower. How much psi can you feed this mill before breaking something? I've heard guys brag about running 10psi, and I know they are BSers, because a stock mill with 10 pounds of air going in will put the crank on the asphalt.

And don't try to snow me guys, I've been hopping up cars since the days of the Mustang II... Since before most of you were itches in your daddy's shorts...

I've got a young fella who wants me to install all this crazy go faster crap on his 2002 GT. Procharger with intercooler, exhaust work, MIL eliminator, etc..
I told him straight up, just go with a cold air intake, a Borla or Flowmaster catback system and 4.10's in the 8.8 and drive it. No hits of NOS and no extra weight from a blower either on the car or on your wallet when something (and something ALWAYS does) breaks.

And just for S&G's, which one of you Ford Devotees has a Pony GT with a blower on a totally stock mill running more then 8psi of boost?
I wanna see this....

And, btw, STBY in the fall of 07... We'll be eatin mustangs again, and most of ya'll be wearing a Ram's head imprint on your backsides... Your unholy reign of terror at the track has come and gone, and unless this guy from Boeing gets it right but quick, FoMoCo may see it's last hurrah by 2010... And no, Uncle Sam isn't going to bail out another American automaker like they did 25 yrs ago..
Old 01-13-2007, 05:51 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6L stock engines and Superchargers

400whp period, generally about 8-10 psi i would think.

im pretty sure the stock pulleys on vortech and procharger s/c's are 10 psi 3.33inch pulleys.

if it's a twinscrew from KB then 9psi will get you up to the mark.

400whp worth of boost would be where the compression starts to strain your motor.

and are you saying dodge is actually going to make something fast ina decent pricerange? cuz, in 08 the new mustang and camaros are gonna be out, and well .... lol, actually the gt500 is already kick *** for the money at the track. and the camaro is just gonna slap everything around. dodge aint ever gonna make something thats a good fast car other than the viper, and the srt8, which still aint that fast.

and ford isnt ever going to die, i mean, look, ford and chevy own like 10 different car companies each, and they all sell well. and so long as ford has their trucks, they wont ever die out. and so long as chevy has the vette or camaro, or pont has the transam/gto/solstice, or ... lol i could go on, but i dont find the need.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Boltt
3rd Gear Member

Quite an insulting first post...

ORIGINAL: madmaxmechanic

And, btw, STBY in the fall of 07... We'll be eatin mustangs again, and most of ya'll be wearing a Ram's head imprint on your backsides... Your unholy reign of terror at the track has come and gone, and unless this guy from Boeing gets it right but quick, FoMoCo may see it's last hurrah by 2010... And no, Uncle Sam isn't going to bail out another American automaker like they did 25 yrs ago..
And yea, like he said, to even suggest that any of the big 3 are going to die out is just ignorant. Especially in the next 3 years? No dude. Just....no.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:01 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

i'm waiting for the amazing response.

while im waiting for your response, i'll go ahead and list out all the companies in which ford owns.

ford
lincoln
mercury
mazda
volvo
jaguar
landrover
aston martin
will any of these companies die? nope, why? europe, and the way i see it, so long has they have europe to buy the jags volvos and astons, ford will live on.

now for GM
GMC
chevy
pontiac
buick
saturn
hummer
saab
cadilac

again, none of those will ever fail, EVER.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Boltt
3rd Gear Member

Well to say they will never fail may be a little of an overstatement lol. But CERTAINLY not in the next 3 years, by any means.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:19 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

This thread sucks.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:19 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

aww he logged off >.<
Old 01-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

that guy sucks. like...hes just the type of annoying person who tries to sound like they know it all and every1 else with all this knowledge doesnt know crap. thats the kind of person who pisses me off more than pretty much ANYTHING else. "since before most of you were itches in your daddys shorts?" i dont care what kind of car hes supporting or bashing or anything...hes just a BAD person.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:05 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

My question is: "If he KNOWS that much, why is he asking us OUR opinion" ?

John,
chapter president, Deerfield IOOB (International Order of Old Bastards)
Old 01-13-2007, 12:55 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

Yeah nice first post noob. That's not a way to come rolling in here asking questions. My guess is he/she isn't even a mustang driver by the way the last few lines went. Oh and a Ram in the back of my head? WTF? HMMM must be a sludge er Dodge owner/lover, lol.

Well first off 10 psi if fine to run on a stock 4.6 engine. Of couse this depends on the condition of the engine to begin with. Way too many factors, previous owners, maintenance, driving conditions, how you drove it, etc...

Now I will say you can blow em up just as easy on 6-8 psi. Of course I know that from experience since I blew a piston ring out. And also the stock pulley on a P-1SC procharger ia 3.85" which is supposed to be 8psi but really is only putting 6-7 psi out. Been there done that and I know from experience. To get 12 psi, which I have now, I cut it down to a 3.20" pulley and of course now I must stop talking because that's on a fully forged motor.

Quick Reply: 4.6L stock engines and Superchargers