4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tire Problem...Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:53 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

Default Tire Problem...Help

Ok so when i bought my wheels (18x9 and 18x10 Saleens) They had tires on them already. Well the sizes they put on there were way too small. They put the same size all the way around even for the bigger rims. Well now its time for new tires, and where the old ones were too small, i have some places on the outside of the wheel lip that got scratched. If i put the right size tires on, you won't be able to see it at all. I see people all the time asking what the biggest size is they can put on these rims are. Well i can't afford to go the biggest, so my question is what sizes do i need to out on that are gonna fit right, but not necessarily the biggest. I'm on a budget so what can i get that will protect this lip a little better than these old ones did, and not break me. I have to buy today so please help.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tire Problem...Help

265 on the front and 295 on the rear should do the trick
Old 01-15-2007, 01:24 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

that's about what i gathered from searching here on the forum. Does that make the wall pretty tell. I need it taller than it is now to keep the wheels from getting scratched. Also how would 285 look on the rear, i can that size for about $40 cheaper, do you think that size would work.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
disturbed471985
4th Gear Member

+1 ^^^^but id go lil bigger in back. might cost u an extra 30 40 bucks?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:28 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

ok well if you could please send me that $40 i'd be glad to buy that size,lol. I need to get tires today and i just don't have that much money. I'm trying to sell the car anyway, but i have to put tires on it now because i still drive it everyday. SO just for a normal size, will that 285 work ok? That's the size that american muscle sells with their 18x10 saleens, so i'm guessing that's like stock size.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:12 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangChik

ok well if you could please send me that $40 i'd be glad to buy that size,lol. I need to get tires today and i just don't have that much money. I'm trying to sell the car anyway, but i have to put tires on it now because i still drive it everyday. SO just for a normal size, will that 285 work ok? That's the size that american muscle sells with their 18x10 saleens, so i'm guessing that's like stock size.
285 will work just fine...if you're about to sell the car i think cooper zeon makes a cheap tire in that size...cant remember though
Old 01-15-2007, 02:15 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

i'll check into that one. I think i'm gonna check on some "like new take offs" that this shop down the street advertises. They're warrantied and guaranteed to have at least 50% tread for no more than $50 a tire. That would be great in this situation if they have my size. They warranty is for 30 days against tire faults....so if it doesn't blow-out or leak within 30 days i don't think they would.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:21 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StangChik

i'll check into that one. I think i'm gonna check on some "like new take offs" that this shop down the street advertises. They're warrantied and guaranteed to have at least 50% tread for no more than $50 a tire. That would be great in this situation if they have my size. They warranty is for 30 days against tire faults....so if it doesn't blow-out or leak within 30 days i don't think they would.
the bad thing about these sizes and used tires is they dont happen that often...all the used tires in these sizes are either: burnt to ****, or no good at all (hole in the sidewall etc) gimme a sec and ill find a few different tires that would be good for this situation
Old 01-15-2007, 02:24 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

ya i've considered that. But i have friends that are so weary of having perfectly matched tires that if they blow one, they pay to replace all four and the shops keeps the old ones. I did that on my formula, paid $150 for four near perfect tires, because i had different size on the front and rear, so i lucked out and they had two of each. I just don't have the means to spend $500 for tires that are gonna go with the car when i sell it.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
disturbed471985
4th Gear Member

If your going to sell the car then why replace rubber let new owner do that. Its not like there gonna be like hey those tires aint new so thats a deal breaker cmon. My vote is leave them alone and let the next owner buy what he wants!

Quick Reply: Tire Problem...Help