4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tires chirp under LIGHT acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:58 AM
SixEight
2nd Gear Member

Default Tires chirp under LIGHT acceleration...

Ok recently I've noticed my tires chirping more and more. I've been driving the car for awhile and I'm driving the same as I always have, but now I hear the tires chirp constantly. Even with the lightest possible throttle, I hear them. I'm not too worried about them chirping, but I am worried that something might be wrong. I've just got intake/exhaust, my FI comes in bottles, so my car isn't very powerful around town. My tread is good on both sides so I just don't understand why I'm hearing them chirp when I'm practically rolling off the line. Am I just being stupid or is this a bad sign?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tires chirp under LIGHT acceleration...

Stop running over the birds! Maybe you are giving it too much gas when you take off. Is your car a manual?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:37 AM
SixEight
2nd Gear Member

They chirp even when I barely touch the gas. It wasn't like this before, it's only recently that the car is so "powerful".
Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 AM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

It is is a manual maybe just because you've been driving it for a while you have gotton more and more use to it. Like you know exactly know where the best engaugment point of the clutch is where as before you didn't know it that well. My cars engine and exhaust is too loud so i barely notice when i brake loose but, the car started to feel faster and faster as I learned the car more.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

are you sure you're hearing the tires and not something else maybe squeaking?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

it is getting colder, which means less traction due to the rubber being colder... that may have something to do with it
Old 01-16-2007, 12:18 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brute03

are you sure you're hearing the tires and not something else maybe squeaking?
ORIGINAL: tcuallstar

it is getting colder, which means less traction due to the rubber being colder... that may have something to do with it
These are the exact two things I was going to suggest. I assume you can probably tell that it's coming from your tires, but just in case, have you actually listened to where it's coming from or just heard it? Your belt could be slipping as you put load on the engine if it's old. That's the simplest solution probably, but it could be other things making a squeek.

If you are sure it's the tires, then I'd say it could be that the tires are cold. That'll make them break loose a lot easier when they are harder.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:18 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tcuallstar

good point... also are they ****ty tires?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:22 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

When you leave a stop light look at the person beside you..if you're like 35 cars in front of them instantly then you know you have a heavy foot and it's probably YOU chirping the tires. If you're right beside them then it's probably because of the cold weather and/or something else. With the cold weather also comes a lossin air pressure so bump them back up to 30-35psi.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:29 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

When you leave a stop light look at the person beside you..if you're like 35 cars in front of them instantly then you know you have a heavy foot and it's probably YOU chirping the tires. If you're right beside them then it's probably because of the cold weather and/or something else. With the cold weather also comes a lossin air pressure so bump them back up to 30-35psi.
Actually more pressure would be less traction, but yeah, if it's really cold where you are you should adjust your tire pressures accordingly. If you just keep it at what it says in the glove box then you shouldn't have to worry about the pressure affecting your traction much.

Quick Reply: Tires chirp under LIGHT acceleration...