4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Replacing Fuel Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:44 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Replacing Fuel Filter?

I'm rockn the autzoe mod. 10 bucks for the filter and 5 for the tool.

Edit: I think the tool was closer to $6, but maybe the filter was $8.98 idk.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:55 AM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

right on eventer!![sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 01-16-2007, 03:52 AM
slow99GT
3rd Gear Member

Hey quick question to go along with this and this might sound dumb.. I was going to replace my fuel filter the other day.. I went down to auto Zone to pick up the filter and they only showed an internal fuel filter????? I didnt look underneith for the filter so I was just like OK what ever and didnt get it.. where is it located.. PS I havent looked I am assuming its just behind the gas tank ????? And what is this tool you need
Old 01-16-2007, 04:00 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slow99GT

Hey quick question to go along with this and this might sound dumb.. I was going to replace my fuel filter the other day.. I went down to auto Zone to pick up the filter and they only showed an internal fuel filter????? I didnt look underneith for the filter so I was just like OK what ever and didnt get it.. where is it located.. PS I havent looked I am assuming its just behind the gas tank ????? And what is this tool you need
Go here and search for Fuel Filter Change.

http://www.bullittarchive.com/WebHel...ittArchive.htm
Old 01-16-2007, 04:04 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: eventer289

ORIGINAL: hot wheels

all the power to ya' i'd rather drive it then work on it
I take it you didnt install anything in your sig then?

No offense to you, some people choose not to mess with installation, its just thatI have installed everything on my car save for the gears. Installing all of the components makes me feel like all my hard work and money saving has paid off. Its nice to get finished with a job and admire my work.
Not me. I install everything on my car too except my jobs usually end in a scene of me throwing tools and yelling, "I hate this stupid f#$@^&% car and i hate stupid f#$@^&% piece of $#!+ mustangs! F*ck this! Im never doing this again! F*ck working on my own $#!+ ill pay to have this bull$#!+ done! F*ck this car and f*ck you guys!" But then again thats just me.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:07 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben790450

No offense to you, some people choose not to mess with installation, its just thatI have installed everything on my car save for the gears. Installing all of the components makes me feel like all my hard work and money saving has paid off. Its nice to get finished with a job and admire my work.
Not me. I install everything on my car too except my jobs usually end in a scene of me throwing tools and yelling, "I hate this stupid f#$@^&% car and i hate stupid f#$@^&% piece of $#!+ mustangs! F*ck this! Im never doing this again! F*ck working on my own $#!+ ill pay to have this bull$#!+ done! F*ck this car and f*ck you guys!" But then again thats just me.
Was it you that had a plug blown out of your head?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:09 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

It is not that hard... you can do it without the tool using like a screwdriver or something, but its alot easier with the tool.

Advance Auto carries 2 different tools, having different sizes for different lines. you should ask which one is for you if you are unsure.

The Purolator Filter part# you need is F65277

Also, the filter is right in front of the tank. You'll be able to see it laying under your car, just follow the fuel line up to it.

here is a pic of the tool you might look for:

If your unsure whether you can do this or not, maybe you should let someone else. HOWEVER, this is something anyone can do, and in my opinion something everyone should know how to do. It's basic wrenching... far too many people pay shops to do simple things they can do in their driveway.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:12 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ben790450

Was it you that had a plug blown out of your head?
Yeah thats me. The one whos changing his own heads and cams and manifold. Yeah i pretty much know how to do it but it wont stop me from cursing a lot. I worked as a tech for a lincon shop for a year. I hate (working on) fords lol. GM is easy. Working on GM ftw! Driving GM ftl!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:15 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

So you ended up having to replace the entire head? Are helicoils capable of holding on a nitrous injected car if so how down the road one of my plugs popped? Is it just better to get new heads?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:07 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Yeah the head is toast man. The plug falls all the way through. Not even one thread left. Replacing heads and cams

Quick Reply: Replacing Fuel Filter?