4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

non-snow tires + snow....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:46 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Default non-snow tires + snow....

so i've been lucky so far this winter having pretty much bald tires and no snow.

i JUST received my new black bullitt rims w/Nitto 555s today and I'm putting them on tomorrow. I just also bought 100 lbs of cinder blocks and put them in my trunk.

friday it looks like snow is finally going to hit.... I know the nittos are NOT snow tires, but I'm hoping that between the fact that they're brand new and i have extra weight in the trunk, itll be ok....

am i right or am i still screwed?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:56 PM
98GreenGT

Default RE: non-snow tires + snow....

The stang seems hard enough to drive in the rain let alone the snow...im feeling no matter what you shouldn't have it out in the snow[&:]
Old 01-18-2007, 12:12 AM
CrazyDan
2nd Gear Member

i wouldn't drive at all during the snow its like ice skating with no brakes u'll problly stop when u hit sumthin solid lmfao...so i recommed a ski's as ur trasportation.....
Old 01-18-2007, 12:30 AM
SixEight
2nd Gear Member

Honestly I wouldn't drive it in the snow. If you get on one road that hasn't been plowed yet, you're probably done. You either won't be able to stop, or if you do, you won't be able to get moving again. If you HAVE to do it, fill your trunk with as much **** as possible, preferably sand bags.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Driving in the snow is pretty much hopeless.

Mustangs in the rain are no problem, even with performance tires. I had no isses whatsoever at any time with the GT in pouring rain. Snow is an entirely different thing. I tried to never drive it in the snow, ever. Iaccidentally left it out of the garage once when itsnowed overnight. The plows had come through and cleared off the lot. I had to move the GT from the parking spot to my garage about 500ft away. Basically, I had to go to the other side of the row of garages (parking lot had a very small grade downhill along the row of garages) around the garage buildings and to the other side where mine was located. I got down there just fine. The problem was getting up that maybe 2% grade with 1/4" of packed snow. To go 500ft and up that slight grade took maybe 40min. I couldn't get it up that small slope to my garage easily. I had to drage my feet and clear even more snow to bare pavement in 2 seperate tracks leading from my front tires so that I could have a clear path to drive. Once I did that, I managed to get it in there with only a little bit of sliding and going slightly sideways.

I'm fairly confident that I would not have made it ANYWHERE besides that parking lot very easily. This was with BF Goodrich GForce Sport tires. I say keep it out of the snow unless you have weight in the trunk and good winter tires. You have no hope whatsoever with dry season performance tires.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:49 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT03 TJS

so i've been lucky so far this winter having pretty much bald tires and no snow.

i JUST received my new black bullitt rims w/Nitto 555s today and I'm putting them on tomorrow. I just also bought 100 lbs of cinder blocks and put them in my trunk.

friday it looks like snow is finally going to hit.... I know the nittos are NOT snow tires, but I'm hoping that between the fact that they're brand new and i have extra weight in the trunk, itll be ok....

am i right or am i still screwed?
You are screwed. I have Nitto 555R's. We had a sleet storm this weekend and it covered everything in a slushy/icy mess. I can even get into my garage without having to keep momentum going in there. If I stop. I spin and spin, going literally nowhere. I still spin on the little patches of slush in the road even though most roads are dry. Plus if you get any slushy residue on them and then drive on dry road, you will spin your *** off until it cleans them off.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I have no problems with light snow (< 4") in my Mustang. Depends on the quality of the driver and the tires.

Nitto's will get you nowhere in a hurry with snow. They just aren't designed for those temps, let alone the ice. Get a set of dedicated snows since you have a set of dedicated summer tires.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:55 AM
nofear2606
1st Gear Member

put your car in a garage and buy a beater for the winter. my car is in my heated shop and i bought a lincoln town car for $250 bucks at an auction that passes inspection and is a solid cruiser. i would hate to get the salt all under my car too. but thats just my 2 cents.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:59 AM
CarlessAndy
2nd Gear Member

How wide are your rear tires? I had summer tires and they were 275's and i got stuck in a hurry. I now have my stockers on with all season tires. I have yet to really test them out but im hoping for the best!
Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CarlessAndy

How wide are your rear tires? I had summer tires and they were 275's and i got stuck in a hurry. I now have my stockers on with all season tires. I have yet to really test them out but im hoping for the best!
I was using 245's and couldn't get anywhere. It totally depends on the type of tire, like hte above poster said. If you have a good set of dedicated winter tires you should be fine. Dry season performance tires...not a chance.

Quick Reply: non-snow tires + snow....