4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

touch up paint! questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:27 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default touch up paint! questions

I have a couple chips in my paint. Do they sell little things of touch up paint at Ford? If any one has ever done this to fill in some small chips, what kind of brush do you use? Or is the paint even available without having to do a complete repaint. Also how much does it run? Any other tips would be appreciated.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:03 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: touch up paint! questions

bump
Old 01-19-2007, 01:22 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

I got mine from a Ford dealer for like $6. You can either use it like a pen or it also comes with a brush.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:27 AM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

from what I heard get the touch up paint to match and use a needle(like at the doctor when you get a shot). Break off the tip and use that to apply the paint. It fills it in so much nicer without smering on the parts that aren't chipped.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:31 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraSnake

from what I heard get the touch up paint to match and use a needle(like at the doctor when you get a shot). Break off the tip and use that to apply the paint. It fills it in so much nicer without smering on the parts that aren't chipped.

Thanks all, so get a syringe kinda thing, but break off ALL the metal tip? So Its just like a thing that you fill up and squirt out, without the metal needle and it just comes straight out of the glass, or plastic orwhatever?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:38 AM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: handyandy

ORIGINAL: CobraSnake

Thanks all, so get a syringe kinda thing, but break off ALL the metal tip? So Its just like a thing that you fill up and squirt out, without the metal needle and it just comes straight out of the glass, or plastic orwhatever?
yeah i guess you would probably have to play with it a bit. I was just told this by a guy that doesn't painting and body work. I've never accually done it myself.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:52 AM
RC5522
2nd Gear Member

Alot of dealers use these companies that roll up in a van and do this scratch repair stuff. They actually whip out a spray gun and make that scratch go away.Touch up paint is so cheasy ,they charge the dealers like anywhere from 50 to 100 or so depending upon the scratch.I had one of these ****ers paint an aftermarket hood on an old car I had. Flawless job cost me $75.00 clear coated and evrything
Old 01-19-2007, 01:56 AM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

really... a whole hood for $75? wow... that's freakin' AMAZING... what was their #?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

I got mine from a Ford dealer for like $6. You can either use it like a pen or it also comes with a brush.
So I go to the stealership and what exactly do I ask them for? Some Zinc Yellow(car color) touch up paint thing?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 AM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

Yeah... you're gonna need an orbital buffer... but you apply that touchup, then go to town with the buffer and buffing compound until it's smooth.

Quick Reply: touch up paint! questions