4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

!HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Void This Message - See the other one RE: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

ORIGINAL: USAMuscle

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot

This car is stock. The mechanic from the Ford said there was a hole in the rear differential and all the fluid leaked out.

Don't understand why the car is still drivable if there is supposed to be fluid in it. Why didn't something burn up or something worse happen?
Probably some bonehead who couldn't find the drain plug on the differential case. lol. Sounds to me like the car wasn't cared for very well. If it's a really good deal and you really want it just make sure the work is done by professionals and you get a decent warranty. Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.
The seller's mechanic looked at it and said it's not as bad as it sounds. The mechanic will have it repaired by the end of the day Friday.

I am going to retest drive it after the repair has been done. Supposedly the mechanic is a reputable one and will give me a warranty. Do you think I can get one that is longer than 90 days?

The deal that I am getting is this: the car is a 97 GT convertible 97,220 miles for $7,500 with immaculate leather interior and a few dings from rocks hitting it while driving. The two bad things are that the two front tires need replacing and a new convertible top. It's worth $10,000+ according to Kelly Blue Book, NADA and other places. The seller is paying for the repair so I think I am coming out ahead. Ya think it's still a bad deal?

I am a big girl, I can handle the truth.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Void This Message - See the other one RE: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

If the seller is covering the costs and selling the car so far under KBB, doesn't something sound amiss... just my opinion.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:50 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I spoke to the dealer and he said the mechanic said the bearings needed to be replaced. I don't know anything about cars now BUT I AM LEARNING from the rest of you. Thank you! Thank you!

Dan02GT -- I am the world's largest skeptic. I don't trust anybody when it comes to money. You know the old saying, "If it's too good to be true, it isn't good." So, when the tentative sales agreement was signed, I left myself an out -- I can walk away if I am not happy with the repaired car.

I also asked for the old parts so that I can learn from the experience. My daughter and I are going to use this car as a learning tool as well as being a toy for us.

Back to the last response. I get a 6-month warranty on the work done and I think that sounds good. Can you get a better warranty anywhere else?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:21 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

"The bearings need to be replaced" is not very specific. Make sure he's not yanking you around just because you're female. Ask if they're talking about the main bearings, rod bearings, wheel bearings, driver's bearings...you know, like when you get lost...lol. Sorry that last one was a joke, but seriously ask about details of the repair work so you don't sound so naive. Please don't take offense to that and I'm not saying you are naive, it's just that women who don't know much about cars are an easy target for salesman, and they often get taken advantage of. Just be extra sure before you decide, and if anything at all doesn't feel right when you test drive it again, walk away, because those guys will do anything to sell a car.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I'm just not a fan of purchasing a damaged car. Sounds like you are going to purchase the car regardless, I hope it works out for you.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:21 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

I thought about going to the garage and looking at it after work today just to see what's under there.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Vert_Lover
1st Gear Member

Do you have any friends who are mechanics or who have one they trust? Ask to take the car to an outside mechanic... have an independent source look at it. They may charge you a bit of money for your time, but it should improve your confidence greatly.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

I paid a local Ford dealership to check it out bumper to bumper. From reading all the posts, it seems you don't have confidence in them. They said nothing showed up on the computer indicating that there was anything wrong with the car.

Does that mean Ford mechanics aren't good or trustworthy? If I can't trust a Ford dealership, who can I trust?[8D]
Old 10-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Redline03GT
3rd Gear Member

Dont waste your money. Theyre ripping your *** off.[sm=badidea.gif]
Old 10-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!!These people are going to rip you off!!!!When a car lot says "they will fix this" if you buy the car,then why wasn't it fixed before it went on the lot?They are hoping against hope that an "unsuspecting" or "trusting"individual will come in and fall in love with the POS and won't care about the "noises".You already have questions about this car or you wouldn't have written in to the Forum,so listen to your survival instincts and RUN LIKE HE11.The carfax query only shows insurance and heavy repair history IF the companies report it to someone.There are to many Mustangs out there to waste your time and money on this one,keep looking.Oh,BTW, get your deposit money back the reason you didn't but the car was THEIR mechanical defect reasons not yours.[:'(]

Quick Reply: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT