4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

!HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

Old 10-06-2004, 08:39 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

Hi Guys!

I put deposit money on a 97 GT. I had the car checked out at a Ford Dealership and they said the noise I am hearing is the rear differential and it would cost somewhere between $700 and $1,800 to repair. They would have to break it down and get into it before they know really what's happening.

The car is from a used car lot and they said they would repair the differential and would be willing to get some type of warranty on the work done if I purchased this car.

Is it difficult to fix this? My husband said that his friends at work said that it was not big deal. Should he even attempt to fix this himself? Should I even bother with purchasing the car?

DANG. This is eating me up cause I really like the car!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

Default RE: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

wtf?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default Void This Message - See the other one RE: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

Sorry!

For some reason when I did a double return my message was posted before I was done. So now there are two of these with the same title. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:50 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Void This Message - See the other one RE: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

that sounds awfully expensive to fix to me?
Old 10-07-2004, 04:53 AM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Void This Message - See the other one RE: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

Yeah. I would pass on that car. The differential is not something that you want to mess around with too much. Unless of course you're swapping gears. Look for a better buy.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:52 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Yeah, that is very very expensive to fix. Does the car have aftermarket gears in it? If it do does it sounds like the backlash wasnt set properly. That could cause some premature wear and cost you some money you dont wanna spend down the road. Go look for somthing else, the worse thing you could do with buying a new car is getting it and then immediatly having to take it to the shop. Kina an omen for things to come. There are plenty of mustangs around, another will pop up soon. Just be patient when buying a car, its a big decision.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:29 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

This car is stock. The mechanic from the Ford said there was a hole in the rear differential and all the fluid leaked out.

Don't understand why the car is still drivable if there is supposed to be fluid in it. Why didn't something burn up or something worse happen?
Old 10-07-2004, 01:52 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

a hole!?! in the diff?!? Wierd. I wouldn't buy it. if there's a [problem like this, there are usually more lurking around.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:23 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot

This car is stock. The mechanic from the Ford said there was a hole in the rear differential and all the fluid leaked out.

Don't understand why the car is still drivable if there is supposed to be fluid in it. Why didn't something burn up or something worse happen?
Probably some bonehead who couldn't find the drain plug on the differential case. lol. Sounds to me like the car wasn't cared for very well. If it's a really good deal and you really want it just make sure the work is done by professionals and you get a decent warranty. Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Yeah, I'd pass up on the car. Typically you don't suffer read-diff problems casually driving....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT