4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What do we think about ignition upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 PM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

Default What do we think about ignition upgrades?

So, I have a completely stock ignition on this built (high compression) motor. I was wondering if it's time to upgrade my ignition. You know, because I can't go without dumping money into my car at least twice a month. I have a detonation problem, even though the tuner guy cranked my timing wayyyy back. He said "any more and I'll de-ball your car". He suggested a 160 degree t-stat and iridium plugs. I figured, why not an upgraded ignition while I'm at it? What do we think, any hp gains in my case? Here's what I'm looking at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-98...81457899QQrdZ1

Is the MSD setup any good?
Old 01-24-2007, 03:24 PM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What do we think about ignition upgrades?

money... burning...hole... in... pocket...
Old 01-24-2007, 03:30 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

What fuel octane level are you useing? Your detonation problem is because of the high compression. There is more heat in the cyls due to the high compression. You can try a one step cooler sparkplug and lower temp Tstat but there is no need to upgrade your ignition.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:33 PM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

91 octane. I wanted to upgrage the ignition (packs and wires) for hp gain and the t-stat and plugs for the detonation. I was wondering if the coil packs and wire upgrade would add power.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I would reccomend Accel coil packs, if not get a computer controlled system, but they are big bucks! I wouldn't go with the iridium though it will only be better than a copper core in marginal situations. Nothing conducst like a copper core and nothing is cheaper than a copper core plug, especially when you have to change them like undewear, or atleast you should evry other Oil change to get the most! I would go with NGK TR6 plugs and gap them at .030 Do not go bigger on the gap as this will cause pre-ignitiona and detonation. .035 is what I have mine at, but my compression is only 10:1. This is a plug highly suggested even by Sean Hyland. .035 for N/A and .030 for S/C or higher compression. The best part is they only cost about $1.35 each!!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phalcrow

91 octane. I wanted to upgrage the ignition (packs and wires) for hp gain and the t-stat and plugs for the detonation. I was wondering if the coil packs and wire upgrade would add power.
You should only be using the BEST gas. Not mid-grade! I would also not reccomend using a 160 thermostat! You need some heat in your engine to burn any moisture that can get inside your engine. Also most engine perform better around 170-180 degrees and a 160 thermostat will not allow this Also your cooling fan is computer controlled, so unless you have a programmer to control this, they will not function in sync and will not function properly. Stick with a 180 and you'll be fine. I would reccomend going with a 3-core radiator Save the money on the wires and get a radiator!!!!! The fan on the 97 model is the best one yet, I think the 98 is 2nd best, so changing that will not be an issue because they are actually better than aftermarket ones. Get an upgraded oil cooler as well! That should just about do it
Old 01-24-2007, 03:51 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

yeah i wouldnt change your ignition unelss something is wrong with your stock setup. The detonation is a serious issue man... figure something out!! good luck
Old 01-24-2007, 03:55 PM
phalcrow
2nd Gear Member

Ok, where I live, 91 octane is premium. Tell me where I can find octane greater than 91 and I'll start buying gas from there. Mid grade is 89 and the cheap stuff is 87. I'm not buying barrels of high octane over the internet and I have been told 76 stations sell 100, but I have not seen it. I live in Ventura, CA. I guess 91 is the best you can get. I have an SCT custom chip tune. It can be changed, but I would have to back to the tuner.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

your car is getting older so upgrading the packs/wires isn't a bad idea. I went with these
http://www.performancedistributors.com/4.6ignition.htm

do you know where you are getting detonation? The last cylinder on each bank tend to run hotter due to poor cooling and alot of guys with high compression setups will run a 2 stage colder plug in the rear and 1 stage colder in the rest.

Sucks that your in Cali with that crap gas they have! Maybe try some octane booster everytime you fill up. Thats what the guys in Hawaii do since they get the same crap gas you do.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:35 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

You need to be running atleast 93. 97targa is correct about the 160* Tstat. Your car will also never get out of warm-up stage and will run rich. I have 11.5:1 compression in my car and inorder to keep from detonating I did every thing I could to keep the temp in my cyls low. Mine is bored .020 over which makes it a little easier since the wall is closer to the coolant passages. For the price your gonna pay for the ignition upgrade isn't worth it if you just want a hp increase since it won't be much of a gain. Plus an upgraded ignition can push a hotter spark which will not be what you want.

Quick Reply: What do we think about ignition upgrades?