4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Good shops in LA????

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 11:59 PM
ericpolanco

Default Good shops in LA????

Hi All,
I have a 2002 N/A GT v8 4.6L Sonic Blue Mustang.
I have a few mods on it so far...
K&N Induction system and air filter
ACCUFAB 75MM throttlebody and Inlet eblow
Magnaflow magnapack catback-exhaust

I have a few more bolt ons but i'm trying to find either a good shop, school, or location where I can do the installation or with a good price, pay and watch.
I have BBK long tuber ceramic performance headers with a matching short pipe.
I also have an EIBACH pro-kit spring kit with sway bars (front and back)
Tokiko Struts and schocks

I need to find a shop that is cool and will let me watch the header installation or has anybody in here done an installation themselves that can give me some tips? I'm sure nothing from above the engine but it's going to be from under.

Regardless, anybody know any good shops or any people that can do headers on here? I'll pay to learn...

Thanks all!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:13 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Good shops in LA????

Welcome to the boards, dude! Being in So Cal myself , I've found most reputable shops won't touch off road stuff. Before you put that stuff on, call GTR HiPo in Rancho Cucamonga and ask to talk to the guy that got popped for an off road h pipe.

I bought one from them and I was gonna install it. I decided to exchange it for a set of springs after this guy told me what happened. California sux for modding cars, dude. Don't do it unless you have a few grand to spare and don't mind having to go to court and get your car outta impound.

I'm moving to Texas....
Old 01-25-2007, 12:23 AM
ericpolanco

Well i have two x-pipes right now
the most pricey one /w cats
the cheaper one /wo cats

I'm going to put the catted one for now until i get my new car in June and take this to the track.

Thanks for the tip though
any shops? also, i'm trying to get my suspension on... i want to learn and do it but would not mind the help or getting to know somebody from a shop. I can collateral in an aftermakert whole price hookups as that's how i g et my parts.

thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 12:34 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

GTR is a great shop....

And if a cop really wants to be a choad, that cat ain't gonna mean nothin'. In CA it's illegal to tamper with factory equiped emissions equipment, unless it's an exact oem replacement. And they are very well trained to know the difference....
Old 01-25-2007, 12:37 AM
ericpolanco

I'll have it for off road use once i take it to the track... so hopefully i don't encounter that...
That GTR shop...how much do you think they'll charge for the header installation?
if you had to average it?What do they specialize?

Thanks man!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:44 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

The header install I'm not sure. Their # is 909 987 4386. I know they aren't cheap, but they do things the right way the first time from what I've heardand they're a very reputable shop. I can't remeber the lead mechanic's name, but he's also part owner and very easy to talk to. I would say the they're really well rounded, but they do a lot of blower installs and dyno tuning. MM&FF and 5.0 magazines have used them in several tech articles....
Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 AM
ericpolanco

Thanks for the number. I'm calling tomorrow.
I'm waiting for my tsw rims and nitto tires to show up.
Once i get those, i gotta put on the new suspension. yay!

Let me know if you have any other useful information.

Do you ride on thursday nights?

Old 01-25-2007, 12:52 AM
SikGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAD FN GT

Welcome to the boards, dude! Being in So Cal myself , I've found most reputable shops won't touch off road stuff. Before you put that stuff on, call GTR HiPo in Rancho Cucamonga and ask to talk to the guy that got popped for an off road h pipe.

I bought one from them and I was gonna install it. I decided to exchange it for a set of springs after this guy told me what happened. California sux for modding cars, dude. Don't do it unless you have a few grand to spare and don't mind having to go to court and get your car outta impound.

I'm moving to Texas....
So what happened to the guy with the off road H?

Oh and ericpolanco, You can check out ChicaneSport Tuning in Torrance. http://www.chicanesport.com/

If your near OC, you can also check Super Autobacs for your suspension needs. They offer pretty good prices on their stuff and labor.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:10 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

So what happened to the guy with the off road H?
He said the cop let him off without towing his car, but between mandatory fines (no, it isn't just a "fix it" ticket), several court appearances, a few days of missed work, re-smogging his car and getting it to pass several inspections it cost him a total of a couple weeks of time and around 2 grand.

I've heard good things about Chicane, but I called with a couple questions a week ago about said h pipe and the guy I talked to was a total *****. I think he said he was the owner....
Old 01-25-2007, 01:13 AM
ericpolanco

I just hope i find a good shop...
I'm deperate...my house is filled with parts...

lol

thx all for your help

Quick Reply: Good shops in LA????