4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

steeda timing adjuster install

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 01:26 AM
jusnkris
2nd Gear Member

Default steeda timing adjuster install

man does this thing work!!! quick and easy to bolt on, then iadvanced the timing to 16A and bam, i got myself a pretty hefty gain. this is a must for guys who dont have an sct or a predator.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:43 AM
03 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: steeda timing adjuster install

Does it stay on the car or do you advance and then take it off and sell it ?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:46 AM
RC5522
2nd Gear Member

So with a predator you can advance the timing ?
Or is a adjuster still needed?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:58 AM
jusnkris
2nd Gear Member

it bolts right up to the crank pulley. then you relocate the sensor to the pulley. takes about an hour or so to do. it stays on and you are able to advance and retard the timing. i dont know much about tuners, but form what ive heard you can advance the timing. timing adjuster goes for about $150.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:34 PM
submit
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jusnkris

it bolts right up to the crank pulley. then you relocate the sensor to the pulley. takes about an hour or so to do. it stays on and you are able to advance and retard the timing. i dont know much about tuners, but form what ive heard you can advance the timing. timing adjuster goes for about $150.
I bought a used Predator tuner for $150. If you are patient you can find a deal on ebay. I advanced my timing via a performace tune in less then 5 mins
Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: submit
ORIGINAL: jusnkrisit bolts right up to the crank pulley. then you relocate the sensor to the pulley. takes about an hour or so to do. it stays on and you are able to advance and retard the timing. i dont know much about tuners, but form what ive heard you can advance the timing. timing adjuster goes for about $150.
I bought a used Predator tuner for $150. If you are patient you can find a deal on ebay. I advanced my timing via a performace tune in less then 5 mins
The performance tune that comes with the Predator adds very little timing. If you have the tune that adds 10% timing in 2 rpm ranges it is adding 1* at 4K and 1.6* at 5K. I had to use the adjuster with the Predator tune because the predator tune was so lame. I added 6* on top of the Predators 10% increases and no knock with 93 octane. Mark
Old 01-26-2007, 04:42 PM
submit
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

ORIGINAL: jusnkrisit bolts right up to the crank pulley. then you relocate the sensor to the pulley. takes about an hour or so to do. it stays on and you are able to advance and retard the timing. i dont know much about tuners, but form what ive heard you can advance the timing. timing adjuster goes for about $150.
I bought a used Predator tuner for $150.� If you are patient you can find a deal on ebay.� I advanced my timing via a performace tune in less then 5 mins
The performance tune that comes with the Predator adds very little timing. If you have the tune that adds 10% timing in 2 rpm ranges it is adding 1* at 4K and 1.6* at 5K. I had to use the adjuster with the Predator tune because the predator tune was so lame. I added 6* on top of the Predators 10% increases and no knock with 93 octane. Mark
2001+ have more compression (9.4:1) so they can't take as much timing. I added 2* to the perf tune for now. I'll try 3 next time I'm messing with it...
Old 01-26-2007, 04:46 PM
therapist
1st Gear Member

if i get a timing adjuster, does that mean i can get a 125 shot of nitrous instead of a 75 shot. cuz with the 75 i dont need a tune to retard the timing. but with a 125 i would need to. is there anything i would need to take it to a tuner for or could i just retard it myself with that and be ok?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:08 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: therapistif i get a timing adjuster, does that mean i can get a 125 shot of nitrous instead of a 75 shot. cuz with the 75 i dont need a tune to retard the timing. but with a 125 i would need to. is there anything i would need to take it to a tuner for or could i just retard it myself with that and be ok?
With the larger shot of gas you should get a professional tune on a tuner, not use a timing adjuster. How much would you retard it at WOT on 93 octane? See what I mean? mark
Old 01-26-2007, 05:14 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99
I bought a used Predator tuner for $150.� If you are patient you can find a deal on ebay.� I advanced my timing via a performace tune in less then 5 mins
2001+ have more compression (9.4:1) so they can't take as much timing. I added 2* to the perf tune for now. I'll try 3 next time I'm messing with it...
I always thought the '99 GT had 9.4:1 compression also. Where can I find that nit has less? Also does the Predator allow timing changes from 2000-4000 and from 4000 to 8000rpm's? That is how mine was and it did not allow the timing to be raised by degrees but by a percentage with the max being 10%. If you got a manual check it out. It was also a percentage of the STOCK timing and only at WOT. The steeda adjuster works from idle to redline. mark

Quick Reply: steeda timing adjuster install