4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Saleen charger supporting mods...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 02:43 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Default Saleen charger supporting mods...

I borrowed the money to buy the saleen charger I posted about last week some time. He said he'd take 2000 for everything but is unsure of what he has so I'm going to offer 1500 for the charger and heat exchanger only as long as it looks ok. This way I can buy the other parts to fit my needs.

I haven't seen the charger yet, but it was bought in 02 to put on a 99 S281. I hope its the series 4, however it could be the series II. He says he has 3 different pulleys to go with it.

To Support this charger, what injectors would be the best to go with, which fuel pump? I have been looking at these 42lb injectors and Lmaf this set is $370. And the focus fuel pump.. Link Not sure if this will work with a GT though.. and if so, its enough fuel for a saleen charger right?

Then i'd plan to buy a tuner from the shop near me, as dyno time is 125 per hour compared to 175 p/h if you buy the tuner from them: www.speedydyno.com.

Anything else? Or any advice on better parts or cheaper ways to do this?

Thanks
Neil
Old 01-26-2007, 02:51 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen charger supporting mods...

The drawback with the Saleen supercharger is the stock air intake... Its VERY restrictive. Some fabrication needs to be done in order to put an aftermarket CAI to get the most out of it. I wouldn't worrry about a focus fuel pump for now because your not going to go very far past 400rwhp on a stock motor, especially on the Saleen series charger for our cars. I'd limit the boost level to 8 or 9psi.... Max you can prob do for that blower is 12psi. I used to have a 2.8 pulley but I sold it a while back.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:00 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the reply,

I'm really unsure of how the kits usually come with saleen chargers, what fuel mods would you recommend? Surely stock injectors and pump are not big enough are they?

And how much hp can you usually go with on a stock maf. I would expect 350 er so rwhp considering I have LT headers, full exhaust. Is this a realistic goal? If so, would I even need a new mass air meter?

Also how about these diablosport MaFia mass air extenders... any info on them?
Old 01-26-2007, 03:01 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

isnt stock fuel pump only good for bout 300rwhp... IMO i would get the focus pump
Old 01-26-2007, 03:02 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rbstang

isnt stock fuel pump only good for bout 300rwhp... IMO i would get the focus pump
This is kinda what I was thinking too.... where is the best place to buy a focus pump?
Old 01-26-2007, 03:08 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

I was told if you put a supercharger on your car you need to upgrade the fuel pump. I guess mylong thinks if your not building a 500+rwhp car like him you dont need to upgrade the fuel pump

ford? ebay? something like that.. if your going with ford PM mitch for the part # i cant seem to find where he put it.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:18 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Yeah... i've been searching for a good 30 min for that part number... o well, i'll look some other time.

Here is one of the cheapest places i've found to buy it: Link
And some info stang 2000 found out: Link

I'm still unsure about the mass air meter and injectors... anyone have any advice on this for running a saleeen charger at 9psi or so?
Old 01-26-2007, 03:26 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

wow that fuel pump looks like something i would put on my xmods rc car[&:] guess ive never really looked at one

you should be safe at 9psi. 12 is on the border... 13+ = new shortblock.

to be completely honest... its ALL ABOUT the TUNE. if you get a **** tune your screwed. so make sure the tuner you go to knows what he is doing... i mean ceekay has taken it 2 tuners... 1st guy i dont know wtf he was doing. 2nd guy seem to know a little bit more then the 1st guy but IMO they both seem like retards. he told me they told him hes running 11 psi.. i was like hmmm.... 11 psi non-intercooled your prob gonna blow something soon but hey its not my car so whatever.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:21 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

as you said, it's all in the tune. 11psi could only be putting him at 400RWHP. HP & torque kill your car, not boost. but 11psi intercooled, he's probably a lot higher than that.[&:]
Old 01-26-2007, 05:40 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Get some blower cams, they really wake up the power on PD blowers...the 42lb inj and 90mmLMAF are good choices as is the Focus pump. Then get yourself a good dyno tune. Free flowing exhaust and intake will benefit on the blown setup more on then NA so get that in good order.

Quick Reply: Saleen charger supporting mods...