4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

California car midpipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:58 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Default California car midpipes

I've been sitting on the fence as to whether or not to go with a new midpipe for my car because of California's **** smog regulations. How many of you CA guys have one, what kind do you have, how much attention does it draw (is it TOO loud?) and how long have you gotten away with it?

I bought a Mac off road h pipe but I'm scared to death to install it for fear of putting a bullseye on my car for cops. A little advice here?

Try to keep in mind I live in a heavily populated and patroled area (Hell A), not somewhere out in the country with just 2 cops running around....
Old 01-27-2007, 07:19 AM
golferjoe11
1st Gear Member

Default RE: California car midpipes

I have a O/R pipe in nor cal. Never been pulled over...A cop cant tell that youdont have cats just by the sound of your car, unless youget on itand let off while in gear, and even then they cant make a judgement, but I dont see what the big deal is. My addvise is to spend the money on a modualar kit so when you need a smog your just swaping pipes. I havent run my car with the high flow cats yet, but without any catsthe hp gain is very noticable at high rpm (at WOT my tires break loose at about 5500, and they didnt before) they sound is also sweet. A guy I know with a Viper envys the sound my car makes. So I say go for it.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:25 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Anyone else? I'm dyin' ove here.....[&:]
Old 01-27-2007, 07:38 PM
X90MustangGTx
1st Gear Member

i also live in norcal south bay to be exact....i use to run an orx bassani pipe on my 5.0 i got pulled over a few times the officer actually looked under my car but i guess didnt really know what he was doing cause he didnt tell me anything...he gave me a ticket for no front plate and made me pop my hood he looked to see if i had headers that were carb approved i did but he got me on the intake which had no carb number. I was running long tubes with an offroad y-pipe on my lt1 also it was pretty damn loud i had a cutout aswell never got pulled over but its kinda scary...im kinda scared about swapping mid pipes on my cobra right now looking at the bassani catted pipes...but screw it i think im just going to go orx i dont care.
-Sergio
Old 01-28-2007, 04:55 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

C'mon guys, keep it comming. I need to make an as informed a decision as possible....

I don't think that was grammatically correct, but @#$% it....
Old 01-28-2007, 05:25 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Well, I'm in So Cal, and my MRT Catted H is still illegal.. cats arent CARB approved. Really, you'll be fine. I have friends running around with straight pipes on every car you could think of, never been pulled over for it/ ticketed. If you like the O/R sound, which I assume you do since you have an O/R H, just instal it and swap it out when you need to pass smog. Oh by the way, this last thursday night I was driving to a car meet, and I didn't run a yellow, so I was sitting there and revved it to 4500 for fun.... bike cop pulls up next to me, looks, and just drives away when it hits green lol...
Old 01-28-2007, 05:32 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Yeah dude, you'll have no problems with a midpipe.

I'm in OC, 16 years old, yellow GT,dark tints, chrome wheels,BBK x-pipe with flows = sure fire cop food.

Never been pulled over, or even checked out by a cop. I usually shift at 3500-4000 rpm in 1st and 2nd, and it sounds phenominal...you can never go too loud. Although I don't advise switching the midpipe for emissions (it's against the law), the catted x-pipe sounds awesome. I get tons of guys asking me if it's a Cobra or a GT because it's soo loud. I just can't get enough of it...

BTW:90% of SoCalcops will pull over a fartcan over V8 muscle anyday...[8D]
Old 01-28-2007, 12:14 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

cops are not allowed to look under the vehicle to check for cats only DOT enforment is allowed to
Old 01-28-2007, 01:19 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

cops are not allowed to look under the vehicle to check for cats only DOT enforment is allowed to
Not true. Not in CA, anyway. CHP and local law enforcement agencies aretrainedVERY well to go through a car with a fine tooth comb....
Old 01-28-2007, 05:39 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

CHP cops go through a 18 week academy, once they get out they go through another 8 week academy on vehicle law specifics. Never fool yourself into thinking "Cops cant do this, and Cops cant do that.". The CHP are Federal State Police. They can enforce every single law on the Cali books wether it be civil, criminal, traffic, minor infraction.....etc.... If the law says you can't do something you'd better believe the Cops have the ability to write you on it.

Quick Reply: California car midpipes