4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I Need Some Educated Responses on Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:24 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I Need Some Educated Responses on Nitrous

ORIGINAL: eventer289

The safety components I was referring to were a FPSS, window switch, and a WOT (which obviously comes with the kit already).
Perfect then, no objections from me... [8D]The fuel pressure and WOT switch are already part of the Zex box provided you get a wet kit.

But my final suggestion would be to jet it for a 75 shot and get a dyno pull to check the A/F ratio. Of course, always run 93 octane when you're going to spray. As long as the ratio is close, or if anything, like mine, on the rich side, it'll be safe. If it's lean, bring the fuel jet up to the next size up, and get another pull... changing the fuel jet costs a lot less than getting a tune.

Edit: After you install, for the first little whileafter every few runs of nitrous, check the plugs! This is time-consuming, but important, it will show you any detonation you may not hear while spraying. After your first bottle's-worth, just check the plugs every bottle, or every other bottle... This way you can keep tabs on the running condition of the engine before something goes majorly wrong.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:42 AM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eventer289

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

well first of all a centri supercharger isnt putting much strain on the engine when not running in boost. but thats besides the point.

i have never myself owned a nitrous kit, but i was considering it and read about them extensively. i only shyed away from it cuz i was able to get a great deal on a used s/c system. nitrous systems are actually a lot safer than the reputation they get. our cars can usually take 75 or 100 shots with no mehcanical problems. however...in order to run the kit safely...you need a lot of extra components...purge kit, fuel pressure safety switch, bottle warmer, nitrous blow down tube, RPM window switch...and you could even toss on a remote bottle opener but its not necessary. if you do your research and respect it once you get it...it can actually end up being a pretty safe power adder.

dont jet with bad bottle pressure, dont jet in 5th gear, dont jump the jet to a 150 shot or something stupid, etc. make sure you get that window switch too.
Yep, I was planning on all of the above already, save for the bottle opener.
Good sound advice you're getting there. I would like to add that the bottle heater as well as a purge kit are both essential satey items. The bottle heater will keep you pressure in the 'sweet spot" and help prevent over rich conditions that can lead tot back-fires. A nitrous back-fire will surely cost you an intake if not more. The purge is important to clear the line of any air or moisture before activating the shot.It's important to have fresh nitrous available as soon as the fuel solenoid opens to provide proper atomization of the fuel when it mixes with the nitrous. Failure to do this can cause wet spots in the intake causing, once again a backfire.
Now if I haven't scared you off, I will tell you that I have sucessfully used a NX 150 shot for 3 years now and have suffered only one backfire due to a bit too agressive tune. I launch at 5000 rpm and spray right out of the hole. It's a feeling that can't be discribed. Nitrous can be safe, but as with any power-adder there are risks
Old 01-28-2007, 01:50 AM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Once again, I am truly amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this board.

Thanks again guys [sm=smiley20.gif]

Feel free to keep posting experiences.