4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Can someone help me???

Old 01-28-2007, 04:56 AM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Can someone help me???

Does anyone have any idea what could causing my car to be making this horrible noise, it only occur when I am accelerating and it's a chattering type of noise coming from the tranny area. I can't find the exact part that it's coming from because, if I rev the engine in netrual or in gear with the cluch pressed in it doesn't make the noise. It only does it while acceleratin in all forward gears it starts a 2000rpm and gets faster and a little louder as the rpm's climb. The only thing that I have done different since I bought the car was change from 93 to 87 octane because one the aftermarket gauges it says premiem fuel only. And now I have a fuul tank of 87, which I don't really think thats the problem because if it were shouldn't it make the noise whenever i rev the engine not just while moving . Thanks for all the help. No shop is open until Monday.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:22 AM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can someone help me???

I have heard many auto trans do it it happends and low rpms while accelorating right!!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:28 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

When I first bought my car it did the same thing, but only in first gear while taking off. The clutch must of had glaze on it from the previous owner. Anyway, it sounds like your clutch is slipping. It can do that at higher rpms and still hold it's own down low. I know it sounds stupid, but dump your clutch like 2 or 3 times, but be easy no 6k drop. You know the kind where your moving at 5mph and bring it up to 3500 or 4k and hit the gas and dump the clutc, that's fun to where your not killin your tires. Maybe the grabbing will take some glaze off? It worked for me! See if that does anything. I highly doubt that it could be anything else.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:28 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rantheman

I have heard many auto trans do it it happends and low rpms while accelorating right!!
Read the post. He says with the CLUTCH PRESSED IN!
Old 01-28-2007, 11:08 AM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

anyone else have an idea what it could be?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:39 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

+1 on the clutch chatter. A couple more possibilities are the throw out bearing, the input shaft bearing, or if it is chattering and vibrating the pilot bearing. Yea, if the car is shaking at those rpms then deffinantly the pilot bearing. I had one go out on my 87.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Silver99GT
2nd Gear Member

If it stops chattering when your car is warm, I'd say contentsunderpressur is correct as that's what I had. If it stays around even when warm, I'd pull the clutch for sure. No use waiting until it fails 50 miles from a shop and ruins your flywheel.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:45 PM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I just got back home and when I rev the engine from under the hood I can hear it and it seems to be coming from the engine somewhere toeard the back seems to be from the to end. But still not at idle starts at about 2k rpm. any suggestions???
Old 01-28-2007, 01:00 PM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

oh yeah, I bought my car used and I want to know if my car was to be tuned for 93 could me running 87 cause this. I really don't know if it is a knock or not. I am thinking of draining the gas a filling it with 93 to see if it's the case. It already had the exhaust, and gears, gut it has a speed calibrator, and I would think if it had a hand held tune, it wouldn't need a speed calibrator. But you never know. If it does have a tune and I put the wrong gas in it would it be a permenant problem or would it be fixed with the right gas. Thanks guys
Old 01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

ok guys I got it on video now but I need to get it uploaded and don't know how can someone assist??

Search this Thread