4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 04:31 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch question!

I would almost guarantee you that the squeeling is your throw out bearing. If the sound disappears when you push the clutch in then it is definately your TOB. The running rough is a different problem. It could be a fouled plug, a fouled 02 sensor, vacuum leak, bad injector, COP going out---could be anything. I would start by checking all of those things.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

A vacuum booster has nothing to do with engine timing (which is controlled entirely via electronic sensors and the PCM computer), in automobiles the termrefers to a large vacuum acutated diaphragm used in power brakes.[/align][/align]Howeverto assert that the vacuum booster is the source of "babysarah's"squealing noise is even more off-base on an '03 GT, as the power brakes on a GT are powered hydraulically using pressurised power steering fluid instead of vacuum...[/align]
Old 01-28-2007, 07:57 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

I have to agree that it's your throw out bearing. To replace it the trans will have to be removed. This is a great time to upgrade the clutch also. For a temporary quick fix you may try removing the dust cover on the bellhousing and carefully spray lithium grease on the T.O.B.....being careful not to get any on the clutch itself. [8D] Sometimes this works for quite a while. Also adjust your clutch and take any slack out of the cable if possible
Old 01-28-2007, 07:58 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

that pink hurts my eyes when i try to read it[:@]

Symptoms of bad Throw Out Bearing
1) clutch is out, car is in neutral and a humming noise coming from the shifter.
2) clutch is in, car is in gear or not and no humming coming from the shifter

Old 01-28-2007, 08:28 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JayC

I have to agree that it's your throw out bearing. To replace it the trans will have to be removed. This is a great time to upgrade the clutch also. For a temporary quick fix you may try removing the dust cover on the bellhousing and carefully spray lithium grease on the T.O.B.....being careful not to get any on the clutch itself. [8D] Sometimes this works for quite a while. Also adjust your clutch and take any slack out of the cable if possible
I thought the clutches were " self adjusting " on these cars. Just asking since mine engages over halfway up, not near the floor.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:27 PM
babysarah
1st Gear Member

I'm sorry about the bright pink font! I hope this is better!

This noise doesnt really sound like it's coming from the shifter area. You can hear it, but once I roll the windows down, it sounds like I have a bad serpentine belt, only it's 100x quieter. Is that the same noise we would be talking about is there was a bad TOB?

Either way .. the noise is definitely there when the clutch is in and gone once I let out while I'm driving.
Also idling in neutral .. it's there.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

much better[sm=smiley20.gif]
ya.. im pretty sure its the throw out bearing thats happens to everyone. mine new tob is already busted and i only have like 500 miles on the clutch... o well thats why i have a radio and a loud exhaust system.

women driving manual mustangs [sm=loveeyes.gif]
Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
babysarah
1st Gear Member

so if i were to just put in a whole new clutch kit, would this throwout bearing come with the kit? i've looked at a couple of online stores for some quick research, but none of them say what comes with the kit -- i would imagine bc someone buying the kit should already kno .. but i dont!
Old 01-28-2007, 11:33 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: babysarah

so if i were to just put in a whole new clutch kit, would this throwout bearing come with the kit? i've looked at a couple of online stores for some quick research, but none of them say what comes with the kit -- i would imagine bc someone buying the kit should already kno .. but i dont!
Ford makes the best TOB out of all the manufacturers. I have heard of the aftermarket clutch companie's TOB's failing. Go to the dealer and and pick up a new TOB and pilot bearing. PM me if you want and I will give you the number to a guy that will sell you the the TOB and pilot bearing for about $20 than if you bought it at your local dealer.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:03 PM
babysarah
1st Gear Member

thanks!