4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine "rattle"

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Lost Time

Default RE: Engine "rattle"

I did change the oil yesterday and used a slightly thicker 10w40. The slow-speed knock that was there at idle is now gone until the oil really heats up. Then it returns, but it takes a while. The 1500-3000rpm rattle is definitely still there. I went around the engine disconnecting injectors one by one, and with the exception of the two under the trottle body I really couldn't reach easily, the other 6 did nothing. No change in the rattle.

If it didn't sound like it was coming from right in the center of the motor, I'd honestly believe it was a heatshield or part of the exhaust. But from walking and crawling all around the motor, it sounds like it's coming from the bottom end.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:17 PM
BoanHed
2nd Gear Member

This is a longshot but something you can check anyway.
One of the gremlins in my new engine was an odd rattling very similar to what you are describing.
finally traced it the metal EGR tube directly behind the intake. The nut was loose, and i was hearing
the exhaust rattling through this. Tightened it up, and no more rattle...
Old 01-31-2007, 02:03 PM
V1PWRED
1st Gear Member

I had a problem just like this. It was a gummed up lifter (hydralic lash adjuster or something). was making a really looooud tapping noise while at idle and even worse under any kind of acceleration.sounded kindof like what you are describing.i put some valve treatment stuff in it and reved it to redline a few times and it just went away. the noise came back a couple of times afterwards, did the same thing and now its been months with no noise or problems. worth a try mayby?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:34 PM
stangfan97gt

I had a noise like you decribed in my 97 GT and when i pullued the motor apart i found out that i spun a rod bearing.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:05 PM
jgorm
1st Gear Member

My guess is knock (detonation). Have you done anything that will affect the timing or AF ratio?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Lost Time

No, the car is completely stock with the exception of a K&N air filter element.

I wouldn't think you'd get any detonation at idle with no load on the motor.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Lost Time

FWIW, since the oil change to a heavier 10w40, there is NO noise until the engine warms up. Once it warms up, the higher rpm rattle appears first. Then after the engine has been at operating temp for a while, the idle knock returns.

In light of that, is it possible to have a piston rod bearing problem that ONLY appears when the oil is up to temp? How about piston slap? I thought these were things that generally presented themselves with a cold engine, not one that has been warmed up.

Is there any other problem that tends to show itself once things get up to temp? Lash adjuster, maybe?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangfan97gt

I had a noise like you decribed in my 97 GT and when i pullued the motor apart i found out that i spun a rod bearing.
+1 Im tellin ya, it sounds exactly like a spun bearing (sorry to say that). Heres a sound clip of mine, sound at all like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRPLN3nz_o
Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Lost Time

Actually no, it sounds entirely different than that. I'm really glad you posted that though. At the risk of sounding novice, how did you manage to post that? I'd like to do the same thing so others can hear exactly what I'm dealing with. All I have to work with is a digital camera that will record video/audio also, will that suffice?

The difference in the noise is a bit hard to describe. The low-speed knock I have is much less pronounced than what you have. It really sounds like a very low-volume diesel. Just a slow, methodic knock. But much deeper than yours.

The higher rpm sound is absolutely nothing like yours. It isreally hollow and "tin-y" sounding. Like a rattling heatshield. Where as yours is a substantial metal to metal sound, mine is more metal "vibrating" than impacting another metal surface. Does that make any sense?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Theres a low speedknock in there too. Its hard to hear in the clip but its definitely there. The rattle is louder than my exhaust which is o/r x pipe and dumped bassanis (that gives you an indication of how loud that rattle really is, and how crappy the camera is) and its f'in loud.

It started asan internal knocking sound and progressed into that rattle (which sound like PTV contact). So now ive got to deal with both issues.

The noise started out as a really faint knock inside the engine and just got worse as I drove it. I logged about 8k miles with the noise progressively getting worse before I parked it an made that video clip.

To post the clip I used a crappy digital camera, recorded the sound, opened a youtube accound (free)uploaded it there, and then posted the link in here.

Quick Reply: Engine "rattle"