4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

another PI swap question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 04:51 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

Default another PI swap question

Hi, I'm new here. I am about to do a PI swap onto a 98 mustang and had a few questions that I havnt found on any other threads before.

1. since PI heads are larger, what do i do about the timing chain? is the cam higher up? do i have to get a new timing chain, tensioners, and guide, or do i just adjust the tensioner that is on it now?

2. I have MAC long tube headers. will they fit with PI heads?

(I figured it was a good time to do the swap since my T-45 is blown and the only way to get the starter out is to take the heads off. i've had it to 2 trany shops and they all tell me the motor must come out because the exhaust is in the way. Instead im gonna take the trans out when the heads are off, rebuild the trans and swap the heads at the same time)
Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM
RipTide7
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: another PI swap question

im interested in this to so you get a complimentory bump
Old 01-31-2007, 06:51 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

1... PI heads are not larger in any way compared to non-pi heads.. Everything is a complete swap.
2... Your headers will fit fine since there is no difference in the exhaust ports of the heads.. Just the intake ports are what are different.
3... You do not have to take the heads off to get to the starter.. I got my starter off from underneath the car while it was on jackstands.. It's a total pain to get the top bolt out and back in, but it's doable..
Old 01-31-2007, 07:26 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

trust me, I am an automotive student at pennsylvania college of technology, I have taken the car to my local trans shop at home and the trans shop here and with MAC long tubes, there is no way to get the starter out of the car. You can get a socket on the top bolt halfass but if you strip the head... your SOL. the header is less than a quarter inch from the solenoid...i should probably just put a new starter in also since its been exposed to some nasty heat for a year and half. so why the hell not do a PI swap in the meen time also! haha.

Is it easier to pull the motor and trans out from the top or the bottom? I havent examined that on a lift yet. and it wayyy to cold here to do anything outside!

Are you sure the heads are the same size? i got a PI intake accidently when my crossover cracked a few years back and when i plopped the manifold on, it sat in the valley and was still an inch from my heads! that made me think the PI heads were taller
Old 01-31-2007, 09:23 PM
BigTurbo6
2nd Gear Member

The PI intake should fit with NPI heads so something isnt right.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

thats what i thought. it is a 98 with the SOHC 4.6. im not sure if the numbers match. I got an intake for PI and it was litterally sitting on the bottom of the valley and there was an inch of space between the head ports and manifold. its deffinatly werid. that was about 2 years ago. is there any difference between the heads on 96-98 mustangs and the older crown vics?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:25 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/intakemanifold.html

that is the exact manifold i got for my 98 NPI motor and it was WAY to big. it was about 1 inch to tall. it seemed like a 2 inch spacer would be needed so that it could be lifted of the bottom of the valley. Also, there is a kid here at my school that has a PI intake on his 98 mustang and i said that it wasnt possible...it obviously isnt possible on my motor....what hell is going on here?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:30 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

it's 100% possible...tons of guys do it. Even though the head ports dont compliment the intake ports perfectcly, it definately has been done numerous times. Look into some adaptor plates.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:42 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

ahh that would have been nice a few years ago! lol.

how much do you think this swap is going to cost me assuming i get heads and an intake for 400 dollars. I am going to do all the work myself and I'm trying to figure out everything i am goign to need to buy. what do i do about the intake - head gasket? can i use the ones off of the NPI manifold since it is such a direct swap if they are any good? also, do i have to take the water pump off? trying to save myself the cost of the gasket.

heads and intake : 400
head gaskets : 150 ?
timing chain gasket: 40 ?
what else...?

I am going to clean, port and polish (gasket match), and then swap. if i do the work, what do you guys think it should cost?

Old 01-31-2007, 11:54 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Give Randy over in the ford parts section over on modular depot.. Let him know what you are doing, and he can tell you everything you need.. and very reasonable price on the parts...

Quick Reply: another PI swap question