4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

from new to old

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 03:20 PM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

Default from new to old

i own a 2k gt coupe with a 2005 5spd tran, only 35-40K miles on the engine itself. some 2 chamber mufflers a k&n and no airsilencer. i want to get it to reach AT LEAST 320 HP.
Now here's what i'm confused on: would it be easier to buy like a 88 gt with a 5 spd and mod it out? i've heard fbodies are easy to make 12 sec cars and mine now is expensive to mod. what would you guys suggest?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:43 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

Default RE: from new to old

Well since you already have your car, it would cost less to just buy a blower and call it a day. You'd be making 45-55% more power with a basic blower kit, which would put you in the neighborhood of 360-400 at the flywheel. 5.0's are easier and cheaper to mod, but you'd still have to buy the car. They are lighter too, which is why it's easy to make them quick. If you want a really light car that will fly though, buy a fox body notchback and cram some power goodies under the hood.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Cedarkill
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: from new to old

I say stick with what you have and slowly mod it as you can afford it. I mean, generally speaking, you're '00 gt is a much nicer car. Personally, I wish I could afford a '00 gt, they're sweet looking and have great stock power, and plenty of potential but pricey I guess. Having a newer car is just so much nicer, you take the small thing for granted really. When you start getting into those older cars, esspecially if it's going to be a dialy driver, they'll drive you nuts. I mean, small things tend to break one after another, and you spend your afternoon fixing all that small crap instead of cruising. I know around me, it's hard to even find an older car that's in good condition and worth buying to mod. Stick with what you got man, it's an awesome car, I wish it was mine! haha