4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

performance parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 07:28 PM
bizarre660
2nd Gear Member

Default performance parts

hi, i am new to this forum and have been reading up on what you guys talk about with what should be done. i just got a 2004 mustang gt and now i need to make it faster. i dont know to much about cars but what i have read is that the magnaflows are good pipes and the densecharger is a nice intake system. also i was wondering if i did put on a full exhaust system now and later did something crazy like a supercharger, would i have to change the pipes again? i just want to put on some crazy stuff and not have to change it again later. just do it once and move onto something else. also are the pro 5.0 shifters good stuff compared to like hurst shifters? thanks for the help
Old 10-13-2004, 08:58 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: performance parts

I have the Pro5.0 and I love it. I miss third when in palm shifting really fast but I havent done it but maybe 10 times in 6 months so it isnt a habit. Its a good short throw.

You can do the whole exhaust in 2 1/2" Stainless Steel piping and not worry about exceeding the flow limit. Get a good set of LT headers and a good X pipe and a Magnaflow/Magnapack catback and you will be done with the exhaust. You can put a S/C on it when ever you want. Now, if you decide to put a turbo on it then you need to buy the WHOLE kit to include new exhaust manifolds.

There are some other things you can also do to free up some power such as Underdrive pullies (Steeda) Timing Adjuster (Steeda) Bigger Mass Airflow Meter (85mm ProM) CAI (Densecharger) And so on.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:37 PM
bizarre660
2nd Gear Member

yea i was lookin at doing some thing like that. i wsa also thinking about just taking the cats out of the system and just putting headers and straight pipes right to the mufflers. i would prob throw in a densecharger cai. i noticed in the middle of the intake is some sensor, i guess that will need to be changed so that it doesnt switch on some light? thanks
Old 10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
1{}D{}{V}{}DGT
2nd Gear Member

if i was u sounds like u have money to spend u should go with bassani headers x pipe and catback and then the densecharger cai the only thing that might trigger the check engine is the xpipe but u can get o2 simulators that will bypass that
Old 10-17-2004, 04:37 PM
bizarre660
2nd Gear Member

would a 2 1/2 inch magnapack exhaust be enough for a supercharger? im prob gonna be doing something like that in a year or so and i dont want to have to change the exhaust again because tis holding back power
Old 10-17-2004, 06:03 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I have the Pro5.0 and I love it. I miss third when in palm shifting really fast but I havent done it but maybe 10 times in 6 months so it isnt a habit. Its a good short throw.

You can do the whole exhaust in 2 1/2" Stainless Steel piping and not worry about exceeding the flow limit. Get a good set of LT headers and a good X pipe and a Magnaflow/Magnapack catback and you will be done with the exhaust. You can put a S/C on it when ever you want. Now, if you decide to put a turbo on it then you need to buy the WHOLE kit to include new exhaust manifolds.

There are some other things you can also do to free up some power such as Underdrive pullies (Steeda) Timing Adjuster (Steeda) Bigger Mass Airflow Meter (85mm ProM) CAI (Densecharger) And so on.
JD is right on the money.

I had all the same questions when I first got my car but learned alot from this forum. the people are great.

On my car, the CAI and cat back helped a bit, but I got the x pipe and 4.10s with the shifter (listed in my sig) last week and it's a whole different car now. Really woke it up and it just pulls like a freight train in every gear now. It was a great place to start.

I hear good things about the pro 5.0 but I picked the Steeda tri ax shifter because I felt that the stock shifter position was too far forward and to the right (gotta lean over to get fifth)....Steeda advertised that the tri ax moves the shifter closer to the driver. guess what! it does!!! the shifts are crisp and precise too and I haven't missed third yet *knocks on wood*