4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

S/C'd Vert. question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM
BBZracing
1st Gear Member

Default S/C'd Vert. question

I am ordering the MPH Mongoose kit in a couple of weeks. Along with all the bolt-ons I have I was wondering if I need to stiffen up my frame. I don't anticipate going over 400 rwhp so I am not sure if I need to do anything else.

When I look under my car I see what looks to be stock sub-frame welded in (my guess is because it is a convertible)...anyone with a convertible do what I have and have any issues?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:50 PM
ctstanger

Default RE: S/C'd Vert. question

I also have the mongoose kit on my '00 vert, for a few years now, no issues with the stock sub frames.

Everyone does say to swap out the stock ones with beefier ones, in general though and not in regards to s/c, which I may eventually do. But I have had no issues as is for the lastfew years.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:53 PM
ctstanger

oh, and you you have Dyno #s with your current setup?

I'd be very curious what your numbers are pre and post S/C, since it willreally take advantage of all your mods!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

If you want to go to an NHRA sponsored track after 13.49 in a vert you need a roll bar and a 5 point harness. I am getting supercharged right now and go to the track every once in a while. Plus you already need a helmet and now you need a fire jacket because of the aftermarket supercharger.

If you get a roll bar it is gonna stiffen the unibody up quite a bit. Plus its safety equipment anyway. There are a lot of places that make them with swing outs that can be removed easily. You can also get some that bolt in or some that weld in. Obviously bolt in's come out and weld in's you are stuck with. Plus its safety equipment and its only your life... It's worth it to me.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:34 AM
BBZracing
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info...I know that I need a roll bar to run at the track. I have looked into some that are back seat passenger friendly (bolt the cross section in/out) so I think that is the route I am going to take IF I decide to take it to the track.

I may do some lower control arms and sway bar since I am interested in cornering but other than that I'll stay I will have to see as I go...

Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

No problem. After my blower is on (should have my car back Wednesday) my car will see the track once that next Sunday then not again til I get the money to buy a roll bar with the removable cross bar and swing-outs, and sway bar. On the street or track with street tires I am not gonna have the traction to twist the chassis so I am not too concerned with that until I go with slicks which will be after the roll bar anyway.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:34 PM
BBZracing
1st Gear Member

I'm sure we have looked at some the same roll bars. I don't want my car to look too racy so I will have to find something that is FUNCTIONAL at the track but also doesn't stick out like a sore thumb...lol