4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Got stuck in reverse gear!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 AM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Got stuck in reverse gear!

speaking of reverse my $hit always grinds and sometimes pop's out or is hard to get into...guess its another stang thang
Old 02-06-2007, 01:47 AM
jitt
1st Gear Member

i'm not sure but i think your supposed to lock up the brakes first so it stops the driveshaft and then dump it into reverse.......i heard it makes for a nice 180.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:41 AM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

It has happend to me as well, its the crappy tranny dgn.

It happend to me after backing into a parking space once. I just popped it out by loading and unloading the drivetrain quickly while trying to push the shifer out of reverse. I know its hard on the components, but its better than beating the hell out of the shifter while in place. If you were to do that I imagine it could break the shift fork.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:57 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jitt

i'm not sure but i think your supposed to lock up the brakes first so it stops the driveshaft and then dump it into reverse.......i heard it makes for a nice 180.
How does locking up the brakes stop the driveshaft? And I'm pretty sure that will blow your engine if it starts to spin backwards. I've heard horror stories from guys who go into spinouts and forget to let in the clutch so when the car's going backwards, the motor doesn't do likewise. The engines are gone the next day or so. Horrible... Yeah BTW I grind into reverse almost every time. I think I'm just losing the synchros.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:11 AM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

dude....your motor only spins one way. there is a counter gear that slides in your trans to reverse the way the gears go. am i reading that last post right? does he think your motor spins backwords when you back up>???
Old 02-06-2007, 03:19 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

How does locking up the brakes stop the driveshaft? And I'm pretty sure that will blow your engine if it starts to spin backwards. I've heard horror stories from guys who go into spinouts and forget to let in the clutch so when the car's going backwards, the motor doesn't do likewise. The engines are gone the next day or so. Horrible... Yeah BTW I grind into reverse almost every time. I think I'm just losing the synchros.
your supposed to shift 1 2 then R when putting it in reverse, just some sort of protection bs that was put in. should make it easier to get in reverse.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:25 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incubus1275

dude....your motor only spins one way. there is a counter gear that slides in your trans to reverse the way the gears go. am i reading that last post right? does he think your motor spins backwords when you back up>???
Yeah I get what you mean...but that's not what I'm saying. I was just stating that if you're going backwords in a spinout, and you're car is in gear with the clutch engaged...the wheels spinning the car backwords at that speed will transfer to thetranny, then the crankshaft, thentotally screw up your engine by spinning it backwords. I know the engine spins the same way in reverse... learned that while building my dad's Cobra.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:17 AM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

ahh now i get what you meen, its hard to understand some times thought damn forums. like, if the car were to stall while going backwards in a forward gear. I've heard that rumor too. never had it proved though. every thing would go in reverse, cams and all. i dont think it would blow, but i could imagine it wouldn't be good at all.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:28 AM
jitt
1st Gear Member

let me try to explain a little better and anyone feel free to acknowledge if this is right......if your going foward and dump into reverse at high rev the car will do an immediate 180 and then while going backwards "you do not" put it in a foward gear(neutral or clutch in) because you do not need power at the wheels to do a reverse 180 only momentum....then rev and gear match according to final foward momentum and BAM!,,,a full 360[sm=ts.gif]
Old 02-07-2007, 01:21 AM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

let me try to explain a little better and anyone feel free to acknowledge if this is right......if your going foward and dump into reverse at high rev the car will do an immediate 180 and then while going backwards "you do not" put it in a foward gear(neutral or clutch in) because you do not need power at the wheels to do a reverse 180 only momentum....then rev and gear match according to final foward momentum and BAM!,,,a full 360[sm=ts.gif]
That's got to be great for the driveline......[:@] Anyway, how do you even get it into reverse if your going foward fast? Would it even go into reverse? Mine grinds like a biznatch if I try to put it in reverse when i'm goin 1 mph. I have to be totally stopped.

Quick Reply: Got stuck in reverse gear!