4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED HELP white face gauge wireing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:31 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default NEED HELP white face gauge wireing

so i bought these white face glow gauge overlays off ebay.

after strugling with the headlight **** i got it off and had the new overlays in a short time after. i have the cluster back together, no problems there. now when we started to do the wireing for the glow part thats where we are stuck at. i used the americanmuscle.com walk through as a guide to installing these. it said to use the grey wire and you tap into it for power, well we did that, and we grounded it exactly like the walk through said. with self tapping screw in the back metal bar behind the cluster. so if any of you have installed these types of gauge overlays before where there is wiring involved could you please tell me what im doing wrong. i really hope the switch is not defective.

here are some pictures of where we are at.

heres the walk through i was following
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...es-how-to.html
Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED HELP white face gauge wireing

Get a screwdriver and shave under the ground screw to make sure its gettin good contact with the chassis. Also on some cars, the wire isnt grey, its brown. Just look for the biggest brown or grey thick wire, and splice into that. If you splice the right wirem when you turn the headlights on the gauges will glow.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

LOL its that huge brown wire in the middle!!!!!

HAHAH i suggested that that may be the wire... my dads like were doing this one cuz its the only grey one. [:@]

shiiiiat
Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i just went and took another picture, it shows the wires better. there is a huge brown one in the middle, we have been working off a small grey on on the side.

can anyone confirm which cable i should be working off?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:24 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

TTT bump!

anyone???
Old 02-07-2007, 01:33 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Here is what I did when I put mine in. I took a test light (onewith a point on it) and probed the wires until I found the wire that turned on when you pulled the headlight switch and it just happen to be the one that controls the dash dimmer and I tapped into that one. You can get to the wires from the back of the plug so you don't have to poke into the coating.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:20 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

were going to get a voltage meter or continuity(sp) tester and test all the wires when i get home from school.

i still need to find out if the wire we tapped into is the right one [sm=bangbang.gif]
Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

When I wired mine i didnt have to tap into any wires, There is an empty connection on the back of your headlight switch that will give the dimmer/headlight/parking light power. Just use your probe and find it, slip a connection on it, and your done. No splicing or anything.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:32 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

When I wired mine i didnt have to tap into any wires, There is an empty connection on the back of your headlight switch that will give the dimmer/headlight/parking light power. Just use your probe and find it, slip a connection on it, and your done. No splicing or anything.
orly... ok il look for that firstbefore i start cutting more wires [sm=thanx.gif]
Old 02-07-2007, 02:52 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Its the thick brown wire. This wire is thick because it controls the headlight and dashlight power. Just tap into that wire with a connector, and when you pull the headlight **** it'll turn on the lights and your EL gauges.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP white face gauge wireing