4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

messed up my car! electricians help me please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:04 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: messed up my car! electricians help me please.

ORIGINAL: therapist

so it turns out i already have a soldering gun and solder, and my dad just showed me how to use it and i practices a while and i think i can do it. but after i do that how do i reset the computer? just in case we messed something up while doing this.
You know, I can't think off hand what you might have done to make the car react like it is doing after ONLY cutting ONE wire, twisting it back together and taping it with electrical tape. Twisting the wires back together is a fine temporary fix to a cut wire. Soldering them together is the permanent fix. But twisting the wires together should have been sufficient enough to re-establish the connection. You might want to back track a bit to see what else you have done that could result in the car reacting the way it is. You can reset the computer by disconnecting the ground wire for 15 minuets or so, but if there is an electrical problem, resetting the computer isn't going to help.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

so it turns out i already have a soldering gun and solder, and my dad just showed me how to use it and i practices a while and i think i can do it. but after i do that how do i reset the computer? just in case we messed something up while doing this.
You know, I can't think off hand what you might have done to make the car react like it is doing after ONLY cutting ONE wire, twisting it back together and taping it with electrical tape. Twisting the wires back together is a fine temporary fix to a cut wire. Soldering them together is the permanent fix. But twisting the wires together should have been sufficient enough to re-establish the connection. You might want to back track a bit to see what else you have done that could result in the car reacting the way it is. You can reset the computer by disconnecting the ground wire for 15 minuets or so, but if there is an electrical problem, resetting the computer isn't going to help.
+1

The car should run with the wires just twisted together. If it doesn't run now, it isn't gonna run afterwards.

I would double check your wires to make sure they are connected good and then check to make sure they are in the right position. something else must be messed up.

You did remove the neg batt cable before cutting any of the ECU wires right?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 AM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

+2 to those last two posts.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:12 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Which wires were they? Under the steering wheelish? It's really hard to completely fry the electrical system; at worst its probably a fuse. The box under the steering wheel; I highly doubt you shorted out a high amperage one unless you really really ****ed something up.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:09 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Im not sure I understand the entire problem.... the wires wouldnt splice together why? Wrong connectors? Or wrong splicing tool? You can get a splicer at any Auto Zone or the like... it will have the corect splicer size for whatever size wire you could be possibly splicing on a car... its just a matter of removing the plastic sheathing and sticken some wires together! I would recon to say the problem lies not in the splicer or connector but the slpicee or connectee! Wht wire did you cut that would have anything to do with how the car runs? It should run fine without a tach i would think...
Old 02-05-2007, 04:14 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

. after we cut them we realized they were way too tight to fit into the crimpers they provided. they pull themselves out.
This is where you lose me... the wires pull themselves out of what exactley? And exactley what does "they were way to tight" mean? What was too tight?
[sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old 02-05-2007, 04:06 PM
therapist
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

. after we cut them we realized they were way too tight to fit into the crimpers they provided. they pull themselves out.
This is where you lose me... the wires pull themselves out of what exactley? And exactley what does "they were way to tight" mean? What was too tight?
[sm=WTFsgign.gif]
like, we cut a wire and after we did that realized there was no slack in it to put it into the splicer. the two ends can barely touch. i went through all the directions again to see if there was something else we took off and need to put back but i think we have it all. you have to splice more than one wire, there were three that they said to put in the directions cuz there are three coming from the tach adapter that you have to splice with them.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:54 PM
therapist
1st Gear Member

well i went to solder them together today and i found that one of the wires wasnt even touching inside of the electrical tape. soldered them all together and it runs fine now. but will solder hold? like is that a permanent fix or should i take it to someone to actually FIX it. oh and i'm definately not putting the new tach on cuz i'm officially scared of wiring jobs. do u think a car audio/visual shop would do that cuz they are good at wiring? or where?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:36 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

well i went to solder them together today and i found that one of the wires wasnt even touching inside of the electrical tape. soldered them all together and it runs fine now. but will solder hold? like is that a permanent fix or should i take it to someone to actually FIX it. oh and i'm definately not putting the new tach on cuz i'm officially scared of wiring jobs. do u think a car audio/visual shop would do that cuz they are good at wiring? or where?
I figured something like that, its why I dont like using electrical tape even in quick fix solutions. The solder will definatly hold as long as you did it right, its pretty strong once it dries. I'd wrap the connection in electrical tape, shrink wrap, or hot glue; whichever one just to make sure the wire doesnt touch anything and short itself out.

You would be wasting your money taking it somewhere; all they would do is solder it and put heat shrink on it.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:41 PM
jgorm
1st Gear Member

Never ever use crimp connectors for anything! (Unless they are Mil spec maybe) They cause nothing but problems and save no time at all compared to soldering. Solder every connection then if you have an electrical problem later you dont have to wonder if the crapy crimps are still holding.

Quick Reply: messed up my car! electricians help me please.