4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car Away for winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 07:18 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Car Away for winter

LOL But you have to be a moron for something like that to happen. I bet a good fabrications shop can make you a good set o heavy duty rollers. Then jack the car up and set it down on the rollers and strap it down. I think I will try that when I leave to go back to Iraq.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:20 PM
2001_SaleenS281_08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

LOL But you have to be a moron for something like that to happen. I bet a good fabrications shop can make you a good set o heavy duty rollers. Then jack the car up and set it down on the rollers and strap it down. I think I will try that when I leave to go back to Iraq.
Hmmmmm I might look into something of that nature.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:22 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Ever seen Ferris Buelers Day Off?? He had his car on stands too, and it went bye bye, me to skerred!!
When I read that I thought of the same thing.
Salt stays on the roads all year long. If you drive your car on wet roads in the spring and summer, you are letting salt get all over your car..just food for thought. If you are that crazy about it. But your car on jackstands and let'er run on them.
Actually I don't drive the car in the rain. The car is always garage kept. Even in the summer. I only take it out when its gonna be driven (which is on a nice sunny day).
Old 10-16-2004, 11:34 PM
supercharged96gt
1st Gear Member

So JDaniel your in the military I take it whats your MOS, where you at and what unit I am in the Army. I got this car when I got back from Iraq I would end up going back 'cept I am on my way out. Nov 25 I go on Terminal Leave man. Nice to see other Military Personnel on the forum. I just read on your stats you in Killeen man. I live in Killeen you have prob seen me around I have the 96 black Gt with body kit and procharger I am in Runnin Stangs I am sure you have heard of them. We meet every Sat get ahole of me if you are interested in coming. Its pretty cool just a bunch of mustang freaks talking about cars. So anyways back to the subject I would drive it every couple weeks just to get everything lubed up. Yea cars can sit for years and the drivetrain can still start and move but how damaged are parts. IMO I would drive my car a couple miles just to be safe. It may not damage anything you notice now but ya never know down the road what will happen and what caused it. I will be doing that to my car when I get out of the military this November and go back to Minnesota.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:59 AM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

when you guys say salt, are you talking about salt because of snow? like do you guys live where it snows hella? i live out in cali and it just rains during winter. is it still bad to drive like a couple times a week just on wet roads? because i won't drive my car in the rain if i can help it.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:24 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: supercharged96gt

So JDaniel your in the military I take it whats your MOS, where you at and what unit I am in the Army. I got this car when I got back from Iraq I would end up going back 'cept I am on my way out. Nov 25 I go on Terminal Leave man. Nice to see other Military Personnel on the forum. I just read on your stats you in Killeen man. I live in Killeen you have prob seen me around I have the 96 black Gt with body kit and procharger I am in Runnin Stangs I am sure you have heard of them. We meet every Sat get ahole of me if you are interested in coming. Its pretty cool just a bunch of mustang freaks talking about cars. So anyways back to the subject I would drive it every couple weeks just to get everything lubed up. Yea cars can sit for years and the drivetrain can still start and move but how damaged are parts. IMO I would drive my car a couple miles just to be safe. It may not damage anything you notice now but ya never know down the road what will happen and what caused it. I will be doing that to my car when I get out of the military this November and go back to Minnesota.

Yeap... Im in Killeen and there is some guy in the Running Stangs that keeps asking me to join up everytime I go to the track. I dont mind really, just isnt my thing. I have probably seen you at the track pretty often. I go every weekend since all my buddies are in VA for school and wont be back till December.

I got back from Iraq in March and they are talking about holding us over to go back in the spring. Im going to raise all kinds of hell. I plan on going back as a civilian but not with the military. I have like 7 months till I hit terminal leave and CANT WAIT to get away from military life!!!
Old 10-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

why would you wanna go back as a civilian jd?
Old 10-17-2004, 12:53 PM
supercharged96gt
1st Gear Member

Probably because as a civilian you make about 3 to 4 times as much money and don't have to put up with the BS that you do in the military. Contractors that go to iraq easily make 70 grand a year and that is for doing small jobs that aren't that dangerous. For a job like gruarding Iraqi officials it pays alot not sure what the numbers are. JDaniel you may have seen me at the track I go sometimes but have only races 2 nights. I keep breaking stuff. the first night I shattered the Centerforce clutch I had into pieces and shredded my belt to nothing. The second time I had traction problems and missed 2nd gear one run. I ended up gettin a 13.6 at 105 but i was spinning way past the 60 ft mark. I just need to practice I guess. Now I don't wanna even try racing because the car has to make it to Minnesota in a month and can't afford a tranny or engine if either goes.

When they talk about salt it is because in most states when it snows they put salt on the roads which breaks down the ice layer on the road. makes it so the road is clean but there is alot of salt still on it and you tires sling the salt all over you car. Salt corrodes the metal and paint. If you go up north like to where I am from you can see cars and trucks that are maybe only 5 to 8 years old and rust around the wheel wells.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:20 PM
bizarre660
2nd Gear Member

i just bought an 04 mustang and i guess im one of those people that dont like to take the nice things out in the winter. i also have an 84 z28 which is already in storage but i live in a condo with no garage. you think that leaving it under a car cover will screw up the car's undercarriage or anything. what stuff should i watch out for if it is just gonna be sittin in a parking lot most of the winter. and some winters do get prety rough here. thanks
Old 10-17-2004, 04:00 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Wings65288

why would you wanna go back as a civilian jd?

Because doing what I do in the civilian world I can make $200,000 a year there... come back to the states making $80,000 a year then go back for one more year for the $200,000 and my life will be paid off.

Nice house of the lake with a four star golf course right next door
All vehicles paid off and one bad @$$ mustang
and my personal favorite... a hoe in every room of the house!!! LOL

And in the end I can happily flip burgers at BK for 5.75 an hour. *Ive always aspired to be a burger flipper at burger king!*

Quick Reply: Car Away for winter