4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car Away for winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 11:58 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Default Car Away for winter

I just put my baby to sleep for the winter. I know that your supposted to start the car and let it run for a while when it sits for a long time but if someone could tell me how often and for how long (because I don't know) I would be thankful. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Car Away for winter

If you can't drive it, there really is no point in starting it up. You won't get the transmission or rear-end warm, put in synthetic oil in your engine and it'll avoid the need to start her up.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:10 AM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Must be a sad day for you huh?
Old 10-16-2004, 01:11 AM
Cedarkill
2nd Gear Member

Isn't it a good idea to run it from time to time to help run the fuel through it, to help from it getting gummed up? Fuel stabilizer is a good idea too...
Old 10-16-2004, 01:25 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

why do people put their stangs away for the winter? is it really that bad to drive a car in the winter? i see my stepdad's z4 sit in the garage for weeks at a time. great way to blow $35,000. almost 7 months old and only has 1100 miles on it.

i drove my 98 v6 stang all through the winters i had it. it ran just fine, aside from it handing pretty poor when there was the slightest bit of ice or snow. regardless of that, people over exagerate the handling of stangs just a bit i think. when it rains now, i'm still doin like 65 on a 55 while people in their subaru AWD wagons and SUVs are doing 45. i don't have any problems.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:26 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Roll the engine over with a wrench on the crank pulley to keep the rigns from rusting to the cylinder walls.Yes this can happen with an engine that sits.If you plan to let it sit for a while,squirt some oil into the cylinders,and crank it over a few times without starting and it wiil be good next year.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:41 AM
Cedarkill
2nd Gear Member

nanaki...dude, you're that guy aren't you, the one that drives like a maniac all the time, people like you are dangerous. There are times to have fun, and times when you have to drive conservatively to be safe man. It'll all catch up with you sooner or later, doesn't matter how "good" of a driver you are, you'll find yourself smashed into a guard rail, or worse yet, into other cars that are doing 10mph under because they know when to take it easy. And as far as storing the car for winter, I don't, but I don't have an exspensive car either. Mine's an '96 daily driver, I could see storing the car if it was newer and I had a bunch of money invested into it. I mean, winter seriously ruins cars...the constant water and the salt coating everything gets does a number to the under-carriage and what not. Plus you have to be super careful not to rack it up, as you said, they handle pretty poor.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:04 AM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

Mine was a weekend car until my POS beater threw a rod. Now I have to drive it to work every day.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:04 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Chopper

Roll the engine over with a wrench on the crank pulley to keep the rigns from rusting to the cylinder walls.Yes this can happen with an engine that sits.If you plan to let it sit for a while,squirt some oil into the cylinders,and crank it over a few times without starting and it wiil be good next year.

EXACTLY what I was gonna say. Just because it is sitting there doesnt mean there isnt engine components that doesnt need to be lubricated. For that matter if you have a Auto tranny then its good to put it in gear and roll it back and forth because thats the last thing you want is to rebuild the tranny because the bands dried out.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:30 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

never said i was an unsafe driver. you're assuming. there's people that still fly by me. i'm talking about on long *** stretches of road. ie: route 50. one long as straight away. or better yet, 495. people that don't even do the speed limit in the rain, let alone 10 under are more likely to cause an accident than people doing 10 over.

Quick Reply: Car Away for winter