4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vortech V2 Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:36 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Default Vortech V2 Dilema

O.K...Friend of mine had bought a V2Sealed kitfor his 99 gt 2 1/2 years ago....sold the car before ever installing the V2....So,,he gave me a heck of a deal 2500.00...I installed the kit,,,went flawlessly...I notice the injectors where 30 pounders and remember seeing on vortech site,,all came with 38lb injectors...So,,after the install I sent my ecm into vortech to be chipped..because money was tight at the time I figurued after tax return,,I could get the SCT and a good dyno tune...anyways....The other day,,the car started losing power above 4500 and sound under load likethe boost was not being directed into the engine...I looked and did not see any pipes or clamps loose...turn outs the cats convertors are now clogged..Possible lean....and melted them....I called Vortech and explained what was goin on,,,,and they stated,,you shouldnt be runin 30 lb'ers..should be 38's...I stated thats what came in thekit...turns out the kit was purchased by a seller in 02(from vortech)and by my friend in 04.......Would you guys think its vortech Responsibly to have caught this when I sent my ecm in to be chipped?They stated,,that the serial number told them how old the kit was and what came with it..I asked,,why didnt you call me and tell me 30's wasn't gonna work..couldnt give me a straight answer...Now,,theyarent returning my calls now,,because I told themI wasnt buying another set of injectors from them and they should exchange the ones I have for the correct ones they calibrated my ecm for already....I understand the kit was an old kit,..but it just burns my azz ,,,that they didnt catch it,,calibrated my ecm for 38's andnow I'll have to buy a H-pipe and the correct set of injectors....Any thoughts....
Old 02-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Vortech V2 Dilema

It's really not their responsibility especially when you bought the kit used....

It would have been nice if they caught it and told you, but they certainly don't owe you a set of injectors.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Ditto. Even if there was a transferrable warranty they can't be responsible for what is installed in your car.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Really it is up to you to make sure everything is correct before having it installed.

You don't know, but the guy who purchased it direct may have ordered it with the wrong injectors. You don't know the full story and can't be sure that isn't what happened. I can see why you are pissed, but it's definitely not Vortech's fault your mid-pipe burned up.If your car ran lean enough to burn up the cats, I'd say keep saving your cash for new shortblock because all that heat probably hammered your pistons.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

Just get a set and a good custom tune. The vortech, etc tunes are useless anyway.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

That is true also, you should never trust a mail order tune.All cars respond differently, usually not drastically different - but enough to where you could run into problems without ever having checked your A/F. I would only use that tune to drive to a dyno without ever getting into boost.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:22 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

It's really not their responsibility especially when you bought the kit used....

It would have been nice if they caught it and told you, but they certainly don't owe you a set of injectors.
Well thats just it,,its not USED ,it was a sealed in the box kit never opened.My feelings is this,,what about the poor guy who purchases a kit from a seller who has had it 5 years .?paid full retail? and the the retailer says,,its a sealed kit,,problems, call vortech...call vortech they say,,not their problem either...?I got a good deal,,even purchasing a set of injectors ,,and selling mine ..not gonna bust thebank..But the vortech was the one to change from using 30lbr's to 38's(has to be a reason)..and the programming.....I installed what was supplied in the kit...correctly...How was I suppose to know they had upgraded injector size?Everything in the part maunal was in the kit.looking at there site once again,,,they still list the 99 gt kit as having 30 lb injectors....and since we last spoke.looks like they removed the 2000-04 parts list....hummm..Oh well leason learned..Now,...I didn't drive it far like this...knew right away something wasnt right...so,,engine damage shouldnt be a problem...Never heard any detonation.....but already saving for a shortblock...
Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

It may have been sealed in a box and never installed but the ownership has changed twice. In vortech's eyes thats used.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 8banger
Well thats just it,,its not USED ,it was a sealed in the box kit never opened.My feelings is this,,what about the poor guy who purchases a kit from a seller who has had it 5 years .?paid full retail? and the the retailer says,,its a sealed kit,,problems, call vortech...call vortech they say,,not their problem either...?I got a good deal,,even purchasing a set of injectors ,,and selling mine ..not gonna bust thebank..But the vortech was the one to change from using 30lbr's to 38's(has to be a reason)..and the programming.....I installed what was supplied in the kit...correctly...How was I suppose to know they had upgraded injector size?Everything in the part maunal was in the kit.looking at there site once again,,,they still list the 99 gt kit as having 30 lb injectors....and since we last spoke.looks like they removed the 2000-04 parts list....hummm..Oh well leason learned..Now,...I didn't drive it far like this...knew right away something wasnt right...so,,engine damage shouldnt be a problem...Never heard any detonation.....but already saving for a shortblock...
I understand where you are coming from. But, I can understand where they would tell you to get lost. I own a business & if a customer of mine had purchased a product, sold the product & the new owner called me for free replacement parts, I'd tell'em to get lost.

They can't guarentee how you obtained the product. They can't guarentee the box was never opened (especially over a long period of time) and the injectors swapped. You're still ahead of the game, so I wouldn't let it ruin your thoughts on Vortech.

BTW, thanks for not taking it the wrong way and blowing up on any of us.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:14 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I could be wrong, but I didn't think vortech acutally packaged and shipped the entire kits to the customer? For instance, with the MPH kit the injectors, fuel pump, etc etc came from MPH and not vortech?

I don't see any reason why vortech would even have a set of 30s sitting around to accidentally ship... there would be no point of having them there.

You should upgrade to 42 pounders when you get em, they will give you a little more room to grow and a bit of a saftey cusion in any case.

+1 on the vortech tunes being useless. You need to have a tune custom burned for the car. Driving a 2v 4.6L on a generic tune is playing with fire.

Quick Reply: Vortech V2 Dilema