4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Going S/C this spring... help me pick....

Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 AM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Going S/C this spring... help me pick....

04MineralGreyGT: as far as suspension goes.....i already have the parts prior to my accident..... I went nuts with all my money saved up for working overtime in the holidays and bought just about every suspension peice i could out of the steeda catalouge...i was just waiting for a nice warm day to start putting all the stuff on...thats also part of the reason that I'd be buying a GT instead of trying to sell all my parts for the 2V and buy stuff all over again for a 4V.....

Parts include: Steeda sport springs, 4 bolt caster camber plates, x2 balljoints, bumpsteer kit, upper/lower control arms, tokico shocks/struts, strut tower brace, subframe connectores, front/rear swaybars....as well as a stainless steel MAC exhaust setup (CB + Prochamber)

2000gt4.6: I was using 10-12 psi as a base number as thats when, from what I've read for both kits you'd need the intercooler...i believe the ATI i was looking at starts wanting one at 8 psi and the KB at 9psi...correct me if im wrong....but given the opportunity to swap pulleys and up the PSI in the future, I would want the intercooler, and i would want the forged engine....

I'm not looking for a track car except once in a while on rare occasions for fun. Right now I can drive a 96 subaru so when i do get another stang I'll be able to make it a project car/weekend car. I like the sound of the KB more but thats not reason enough to buy it obviously....what i do like about the KB more, is how its physically set up in the engine bay as opposed to a centri style....but i havent decided for sure yet.....

i think 10-12 psi is a good starting point and yes, i probably will want more eventually....but driving a 230ish HP stang to a weak *** subaru to a potentially 400+hp car is quite a jump so i'm sure ill be plenty happy with 10 psi for quite a long time... im just forging the engine to be on the safe side, and allow myself room for growth....
Old 02-07-2007, 11:40 AM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

As my tuner said last night when I was checking up on my car... Putting a big blower on your car (I am going with a 3-core intercooled D1) with a stock motor takes the "What if" factor completely out of it...

It's not what if I blow my motor... Its WHEN do I blow my motor...

The shop I am going to is mainly a Cobra shop and they have tons of them in there. But, they will put nothing but Centri's on a 2V. They don't recommend it, especially not without a built tranny. O and if you are going anywhere over 500whp you are going to want a complete return-style fuel system just to be on the safe side cause you don't want to put all this money into the motor/blower setup and run it lean/blow it up to save another $2000 on a kick *** fuel system.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:26 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

KB FTW!.. You can't beat the whine.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:33 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

As my tuner said last night when I was checking up on my car... Putting a big blower on your car (I am going with a 3-core intercooled D1) with a stock motor takes the "What if" factor completely out of it...

It's not what if I blow my motor... Its WHEN do I blow my motor...

The shop I am going to is mainly a Cobra shop and they have tons of them in there. But, they will put nothing but Centri's on a 2V. They don't recommend it, especially not without a built tranny. O and if you are going anywhere over 500whp you are going to want a complete return-style fuel system just to be on the safe side cause you don't want to put all this money into the motor/blower setup and run it lean/blow it up to save another $2000 on a kick *** fuel system.
Ford GT pump FTW!!!!!!!!!!! They can hold 1000hp!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

You should upgrade more than just the pump after 500hp.

Rails
Lines
Make it a return style system for safety.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:35 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Daily Driver or Weekend Warrior?

DD = Centri

WW = KB

Yes, it's that simple...
Old 02-07-2007, 05:39 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

everyone seems to be "getting a supercharger" this spring or summer.

i have a vortech and love it.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:59 PM
DreamKing
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT03 TJS

Ok so I've been out of work since the accident and wont be going back until the end of february...so i have had a lot of time on my hands to do research and read up on gear.

In about two or three months after insurance/settlement stuff is done with, I'll be looking to pick up a new stang...99-04GT ( iknow i know, get a 4V...dont wanna hear it...im getting another beloved 2V)

so I've done a lot of reading up on power adders and I've narrowed down my choices to either an ATI Procharger or a Kenne Bell 2.1....both systems intercooled.....and i'm looking to run 10 - 12 psi...and yes I will be going to a forged motor (VT...from block to internals to cams...done by xxtuning, east hartford CT)....

Now I know they are essentially two different styles of superchargers....centri vs twin screw....and from what I can tell the price for the kits i'm looking at is very close in proximity.....

I'm looking for people running either system with similar boost levels to share their opinions on why their system is better...or what they'd do differently.....what HP/TQ numbers are you layin down etc etc....
I don't have a sc and never have, but from what I understand the fundamental difference between a KB and a centri is that the KB is a street sc and the centri is a track sc. The reason for this, as I understand it, is that the centri makes most of its power very high in the rpms, so down low you're not making much power. This doesn't matter if you're at the track because you're going to be very high in the rpms the whole time you're racing, but on the streets it won't be as much fun. The KB, on the other hand, generates huge amounts of low-end torque as well as hp, so on the streets it's going to be more fun. Overall, I think the KB is just a better, more fun sc. But this is based purely on my own research rather than personal experience, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:06 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

... you don't begin to build boost until about 3000rpm with a centri, but c'mon folks. how long does it honestly take you to get to 3000rpm?

good thing about KB = instant power
bad thing about KB = instant power
Old 02-07-2007, 06:17 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: nanaki

... you don't begin to build boost until about 3000rpm with a centri, but c'mon folks. how long does it honestly take you to get to 3000rpm?

good thing about KB = instant power
bad thing about KB = instant power
3.73/4.10=3000 RPM in a hurry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going S/C this spring... help me pick....