MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Gears, how much should it cost?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/242277-gears-how-much-should-it-cost.html)

01GTCONVERTABLE 02-08-2007 12:10 AM

Gears, how much should it cost??

I live in Missouri, close to St. Louis. What is a fair price for someone to install my 3.73 gears?? I want it done right, but I don't want to pay out the wazoo for it.

97targa 02-08-2007 12:35 AM

RE: Gears, how much should it cost??

Between $250-$350 Remeber the entire rear brake set-up has to come off each axle in order to slide those shafts out to be able to get to those gears! It's a bit of work, so if someone tells you $200 you might wanna run the other way, because they probably need the money and know how to pull al the stuff apart, but they don't know how to properly space and mark the inion gear! On the oter hand don't pay $600 because you think they are professional. Professionals should get $350. Go to a Ford dealership and they will do it right, you'll have no worries! I know most small time garages around me in Albany, NY charge $65hr for labor and the dealerships charge $70? It's a no brainer to go to the dealership. They just rape you on the parts, so get them before you make an appointment and go with FORD Racing gears and get the assembly kit cause they will need it!

JJ03MustangGT 02-08-2007 12:37 AM

i got quoted an average price of 300. and thats what i paid.

lizzyfan 02-08-2007 12:39 AM

200-350

antwaan 07-12-2007 01:03 AM

so, if i buy the 3.73 gears ( $130 from americanmuscle.com for the non light-weight ones(im not looking to take it to the track, just beat other mustangs in my town and just have fun), and the master bearing kit $75) are those 2 things all the mechanic would need to do the installation besides his time? and the gear oil, 3 quarts of royal purple? and is it best for me to buy those things seperate then take them to the mechanic to do the install? my uncle knows every good mechanic in town so i know i can find the right person to do the job... but i want to make sure i buy the right stuff and keep the most money in my pocket. im looking to do the gears sometime within the next year, once i do my exhaust and clutch.

white07 07-12-2007 01:47 AM

ORIGINAL: antwaan

so, if i buy the 3.73 gears ( $130 from americanmuscle.com for the non light-weight ones(im not looking to take it to the track, just beat other mustangs in my town and just have fun), and the master bearing kit $75) are those 2 things all the mechanic would need to do the installation besides his time? and the gear oil, 3 quarts of royal purple? and is it best for me to buy those things seperate then take them to the mechanic to do the install? my uncle knows every good mechanic in town so i know i can find the right person to do the job... but i want to make sure i buy the right stuff and keep the most money in my pocket. im looking to do the gears sometime within the next year, once i do my exhaust and clutch.
I dont know about you people but I dont deal with "mechanics" as in people who service any cars. I take my **** to a mustang performance shop.

But yeah the master bearing kit and the gears is all they should need.

greatjedi 07-12-2007 02:28 AM

My 3.73 install cost me 280 at the local Mustang shop

BleedinBlue 07-12-2007 02:32 AM

Shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with the guy that did my gears. He lives a few blocks from me, which is about 45 minutes south of St. Louis. He charged me in the neighborhood of $300. He owns a local Mustang forum and Mustang performance shop. He really knows his stuff and is a good guy.

945LSTANG 07-12-2007 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: 01GTCONVERTABLE

I live in Missouri, close to St. Louis. What is a fair price for someone to install my 3.73 gears?? I want it done right, but I don't want to pay out the wazoo for it.
go to mustang muscle...its in south county. a friend of mine had his installed there, check it out http://www.mustangmuscleonline.com/

nanaki 07-12-2007 11:51 AM

don't pay more than $500 out the door for everything.