4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

billet vrs forged internals

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
KaMiKaZiPosTMaN

Default billet vrs forged internals

So i was on VT's website looking at rotating assemblies (crank, pistons, rods) and i was looking at the forged stuff....but then i came across billet internals and i didn't know if anyone knew much about them? Are they drag race only internals and not good for a DD?..I know they're more expensive but when i rebuild my 4.6 i want to build it as strong as i can to withstand kenne bell abuse....any information you guys send my way would be much apprechiated ...thanks alot guys!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
KaMiKaZiPosTMaN

Default RE: billet vrs forged internals

ok so i actually READ the description and only the rods are billet...i'm guessing it's about the same strength just a bit lighter?...most of those kits say they're good up to 700 Hp...but there was one good for up to 1000+....not that i plan on running anywhere near that much...just that they'rerated that high and it would be a good longterm investment....oh andwould it be worth getting a stroker kit (from 4.6 to 5.0)....how would the stroker work with a supercharger...(given that thepistonsare made to keep the compression around 8:5:1)...and i heard once that strokerengines have to be rebuilt every like 25k miles cause of therod bearings?...any truth to this?....any help would be apprechiated cause i'm looking to start purchasing within a month....thanks again guys!
Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Stroker motors are not good for supercharged cars because they become unstable at high rpms due to the skirts leaving the cyl at the bottom of the stroke.. The best FI for a stroker is turbos. They dont requier as high of a rpm to make full boost. Strokers do not need to be rebuilt all the time.

Billet rods are not just race only but for the cost they are not worth putting them in a DD. They can handle 1500 hp and no streetable car is going to be near that.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:32 PM
04gtmatt
2nd Gear Member

your wrong. mph has there billet 302 stroker with a kb 2.8 making 900rwhp on a stroker. its been runnig for 2 years no problems and they go to every ffw event ext.

Now for the billet, there stronger than forged but forged will be more than enough for a kb. billet should not be needed for a d/d. Usually the pistons or bearing will go before the rods. Just get a forged rotating assembley. Plus, you wouldnt need a 302 unles your running a big turbo. The reason why i say that is because the turbo will spool faster with more cubic inches
Old 02-08-2007, 02:39 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

I think they are just calling them billet to make it sound special, billet is just another name for metal.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:46 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

I just went to manley's website, and they make steel and aluminum rods. So I'm guessing VT is calling the aluminum rods billtet. Both the steel and aluminum rods are fordged, the aluminum would be lighter but I'm sure that the steel has a higher tensile strenght.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:50 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Forgings generally produce a flowed grain structure that provides great strength parallel to the lines of flow. The metallurgy of a forging also depends on the alloy used and the heat treatment that is applied to it after it has been shaped. The one drawback of a forging is that it requires a die to shape the metal.

Billet crankshafts or rods,etc, by comparison, are CNC machined from a solid chunk of metal. The machining process cuts through the grain structure so there are fewer residual stresses in the metal as there are in a forging.
Proponents of billet cranks say billet steel alloys also tend to be "cleaner" in terms of impurities and inclusions, which improves strength and durability of the finished product.
The main advantage of billet cranks, however, is that CNC machining allows the supplier to custom fabricate a crankshaft for virtually any engine. No mold or forging die is necessary, so there's no limit on the shape or dimensions .
Old 02-08-2007, 03:02 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8banger

Forgings generally produce a flowed grain structure that provides great strength parallel to the lines of flow. The metallurgy of a forging also depends on the alloy used and the heat treatment that is applied to it after it has been shaped. The one drawback of a forging is that it requires a die to shape the metal.

Billet crankshafts or rods,etc, by comparison, are CNC machined from a solid chunk of metal. The machining process cuts through the grain structure so there are fewer residual stresses in the metal as there are in a forging.
Proponents of billet cranks say billet steel alloys also tend to be "cleaner" in terms of impurities and inclusions, which improves strength and durability of the finished product.
The main advantage of billet cranks, however, is that CNC machining allows the supplier to custom fabricate a crankshaft for virtually any engine. No mold or forging die is necessary, so there's no limit on the shape or dimensions .
It sounds like you've had a few more materials classes than me, lol.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:07 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

The "billit" term when used in this genre usually denotes the race version of parts. And unless you plan on going 800hp+ then you don't really need the "billit" line of rods etc.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:10 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

as stated above, billet refers to the metals purity, forging refers to a process of shaping the metal...just pay attention to what 8banger said

Quick Reply: billet vrs forged internals