4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Okay....so I got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 02:13 PM
deesgt
2nd Gear Member

Default Okay....so I got a few questions

and I'm sure you guys have the answers!!

1. Currently I use mid-grade gas in my Gt...89 octane. Would there be ANY benefit to going to 91 octane?

2. What attributes does the Accufab posess that make it better than say, C&L, Trickflow...etc? I'm lookin into a 70mm T/B and plenum and I'm just wondering is it really worth the money or am I really just paying for the name.

3. I read an ad for GT-40 "turbo-swirl" heads. Claiming a 30 hp increase over my stock heads. True? I don't actually wanna go through the whole PI head swap...just maybe diff. heads, OR diff. cam and intake.

Okay, that's it for now!
Old 10-18-2004, 02:18 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Okay....so I got a few questions

Well i do know that your not gonna make to much of and increase with the TB and Intake Manifold unless you get the heads and maybe a cam...i'm not sure abou tthe gas...
Old 10-18-2004, 02:21 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

1. No, theirs no benefit to using 89 over 87 either unless you've bumped your ignition timing or getting detonation at 87 - as a matter of fact using an octane rating higher than required will reduce hp and increase carbon buildup.

2. Accufab is the best in the business, their design flows about the same CFM as the rest of them - but they do it with a smaller plenum volume which means more velocity and more torque. On a 96 GT though your not gonna get much of a gain from a plenum / tb change since your heads, cams, & intake are gonna choke out your power above 5k. So, unless you've already exhausted your other mods, you may want to consider doing some exhaust, gears, maybe intake, cams, or heads before you lay down the $400+ on an accufab setup thats only gonna get you around 5hp.

3. GT-40 heads are for 5.0's, the only other heads you can put on your car as of today are PI's

Thats my $.03
Old 10-18-2004, 02:24 PM
deesgt
2nd Gear Member

So you feel it's best to help the car breathe out before you increase how much it breathes in?
Old 10-18-2004, 02:27 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

On probably every car, but especially on non-PI's
Old 10-18-2004, 02:59 PM
aaron_b_b
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

1. No, theirs no benefit to using 89 over 87 either unless you've bumped your ignition timing or getting detonation at 87 - as a matter of fact using an octane rating higher than required will reduce hp and increase carbon buildup.

2. Accufab is the best in the business, their design flows about the same CFM as the rest of them - but they do it with a smaller plenum volume which means more velocity and more torque. On a 96 GT though your not gonna get much of a gain from a plenum / tb change since your heads, cams, & intake are gonna choke out your power above 5k. So, unless you've already exhausted your other mods, you may want to consider doing some exhaust, gears, maybe intake, cams, or heads before you lay down the $400+ on an accufab setup thats only gonna get you around 5hp.

3. GT-40 heads are for 5.0's, the only other heads you can put on your car as of today are PI's

Thats my $.03
Are you serious? I use 93 octane all the time and my whole system is stock? Would the car start to act differently if I went back to regular?
Old 10-18-2004, 03:58 PM
1{}D{}{V}{}DGT
2nd Gear Member

93 is good for the motor its usually cleaner than 87
Old 10-18-2004, 04:03 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Thats not true. If you want me to sit down and type up a FAQ I'd be glad to - but don't spread any bull about 93 being "cleaner"... octane rating is nothing but a measure of the fuel's resistance to pre-ignition. 93 Octane is harder to ignite, and burns slower and more controlled. So is the myth that 110 octane "race" gas will make you go faster. "Premium" is just a ploy to sell more expensive gas. You don't have to take my word for it - do the research yourself and don't rely on what your "friends" told you.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:05 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: aaron_b_b

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

Thats my $.03
Are you serious? I use 93 octane all the time and my whole system is stock? Would the car start to act differently if I went back to regular?
You'd probably only loose 1 or 2 hp and the carbon buildup will be gradual - things like your spark plugs & 02 sensors will probably loose 1/3 or so of their life. You likely won't "feel" the difference, except in your wallet.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Deleted User
I ♥ Acer

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Okay....so I got a few questions