4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 05:29 PM
StriktlyGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust Install Question

I'm about to purchase some LM2's. I called a shop here in town, and he told me that all I'd need is the mufflers, because my car already has 2.5" pipes. So do I actually need to buy the catback system or just the mufflers ? Kind of confused because everyone always talks about getting the catback system, but he was like 'there's no point in taking off pipes just to put the same size back on'.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:33 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Install Question

lol dont take it to him... you have 2.25 inch piping... a catback comes with 2.5 inch piping so... get the catback
Old 02-08-2007, 05:36 PM
HMUSN
2nd Gear Member

+1 get the cat back.

the stock pipes don't have mandrel bends in them wich restricts flow
Old 02-08-2007, 05:38 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

lol gotta love mechanics who dont know what the hell there talking about, get the catback
Old 02-08-2007, 05:39 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

aftermarket catbacks are mandrel bent so they have a smoother flow and they are bigger. and if the place told you that they are stupid and dont need to work on your car. Also when you buy the catback you get the infamous SLP **** which are beautiful
Old 02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

aftermarket catbacks are mandrel bent so they have a smoother flow and they are bigger. and if the place told you that they are stupid and dont need to work on your car. Also when you buy the catback you get the infamous SLP **** which are beautiful
lol was that a freudian slip "****" , i think you meant tips
Old 02-08-2007, 05:44 PM
StriktlyGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, i guess that's what I get for living in a small town in the South. I told one of the guys on the phone, thatI wanted to upgrade my mufflers, and the first words out his mouth were, "..So ya wannna put on some Flowmasters..."
Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: HMUSN

+1 get the cat back.

the stock pipes have mandrel bends in them wich restricts flow
Actually Mandrel bends is preferred... I think you meant to say stock pipes don't have them. They have what are calledpressure bends or corrugated bends both ofwhich restrict air flow.Mandrel bend keeps thediameterof the pipe even (and round) throughout the bend.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:08 PM
stang22jh

IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU ARE WILLING TO SPEND, AND HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER YOU WANT TO HAVE. MUFFLERS WILL FREE UP SOME AIR FLOW, BUT OF COURSE THE AFTER CAT WILL GIVE YOU THE MOST GAIN WITH THE MANDREL BENDS. I DON'T HAVE THE AFTER CAT, JUST THE BBK OFF ROAD WITH STOCK PIPES AND FLOWS. I LOVE THE SOUND BUT AM LOSING HP BECAUSE OF THE STOCK PIPING. I WAS TOLD BY THE PEOPLE THAT DO MY WORK THAT THE AFTER CAT WILL ONLY GIVE ME 7-10 TO THE GROUND AND THAT IS UPGRADING TO THE 2.5 INCH. SO I WOULD ESTIMATE 5-8 WITH YOUR CAR ALREADY HAVING 2.5 STOCK.
OVERALL YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF WITH THE AFTER CAT, YOU WILL WANT TO DO SOONER OR LATER. I RECOMMEND THE MAGNAFLOW OR FLOWMASTER. YOU WILL GET THE MOST HP GAIN FROM THE SLP, BUT THE SOUND IS ANNOYING AND JUST NOT AS CLEAN AS THE OTHER TWO.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:10 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang22jh

IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH YOU ARE WILLING TO SPEND, AND HOW MUCH HORSEPOWER YOU WANT TO HAVE. MUFFLERS WILL FREE UP SOME AIR FLOW, BUT OF COURSE THE AFTER CAT WILL GIVE YOU THE MOST GAIN WITH THE MANDREL BENDS. I DON'T HAVE THE AFTER CAT, JUST THE BBK OFF ROAD WITH STOCK PIPES AND FLOWS. I LOVE THE SOUND BUT AM LOSING HP BECAUSE OF THE STOCK PIPING. I WAS TOLD BY THE PEOPLE THAT DO MY WORK THAT THE AFTER CAT WILL ONLY GIVE ME 7-10 TO THE GROUND AND THAT IS UPGRADING TO THE 2.5 INCH. SO I WOULD ESTIMATE 5-8 WITH YOUR CAR ALREADY HAVING 2.5 STOCK.
OVERALL YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF WITH THE AFTER CAT, YOU WILL WANT TO DO SOONER OR LATER. I RECOMMEND THE MAGNAFLOW OR FLOWMASTER. YOU WILL GET THE MOST HP GAIN FROM THE SLP, BUT THE SOUND IS ANNOYING AND JUST NOT AS CLEAN AS THE OTHER TWO.
*hits your caps lock key with a hammer*

Quick Reply: Exhaust Install Question