4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust suggestions **New Question**

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:15 PM
iowanine
3rd Gear Member

Default Exhaust suggestions **New Question**

Hey all,

Currently right now I only have a Mac catback system on my car as far as the exhaust goes, I was wondering the best possible route to get it a little louder. I have read up on X and H pipes but really don't understand the difference in sound from it. What could I possibly purchase that would work the best. And I do not really understand the whole short vs. long tube route. It you guys could give mea good suggestion for what I can get, preferably Mac.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust suggestions

Ok...as far as the tube length ?'s go here: headersbyed.com/bildbetr.htm dont copy and paste type it letter for letter. read that top to bottom and you'll get edumicated on the difference between shortys and LT headers (Long Tube). Louder? Different mufflers would help, like flowmasters. 40 series delta flow are good, Super 40's are a bit louder. I think smaller cats would help to but I'm not really sure. My buddy has a 03 GT and his are way smaller then mine but his sounds louder. Theres no real difference between x or h pipes that I've heard of, maybe somebody after me can help you with that one. Dont get stuck on one comapny for all your parts.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

H pipes tend to sound a bit deeper and more muscle car like. X pipes offer slightly better performance but are a tad higher pitched. The mac prochamber sound like an H but performs like an X, its the best of both.

If you want to go all out Id say get a mac shorty prochamber matched with mac longtubes (since you've already got the mac catback). Either off road or catted will sound good. The off road will be louder though. That would be a deep, mean sounding combo.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 PM
iowanine
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys. The reason why I am looking towards Mac most likely is since I have their catback system, why not make the entire exhaust system from them since I bet their products are more designed to work best with their products. Or I could be completely wrong with that.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:48 PM
iowanine
3rd Gear Member

oh, and as far as the offroad h pipes, which one would be better?

http://macperformance.com/store/cate...ategory_ID=800

or

http://macperformance.com/store/cate...ategory_ID=468

of which both for an '02 GT.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:50 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

Everybodys products are designed to work best with their other products, so you buy more of their stuff to make them more money. Question for anybody to answer: In an H-pipe, would the connecting tube length have anything to do with sound or performance? like headers...a shorter tube gives a bit more performance and a long tube adds more of the muscle sound or does it not matter?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:58 PM
lsustang04
3rd Gear Member

I think the h pipes provide an deeper old school muscle car sound, but the sounds pretty low and gives some low end acceleration.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:23 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

If i were you , just get an off road H...

loud, deeper, especially with the chambered MAC's you have now.. dont bother on headers, for the price, they arent worth the sound unless yorue looking for big power down the road
Old 02-09-2007, 12:25 AM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

just get the mac prochamber o/r h pipe with some lt headers...that will maker her sound nice
Old 02-09-2007, 07:44 PM
iowanine
3rd Gear Member

For the stock H pipe that is on the car with the Mac catback system, will I have any issues with emissions test where I need to have cats on there to pass if I replace it with a Mac Offroad H pipe? Thanks

Quick Reply: Exhaust suggestions **New Question**