4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Might be getting Cobra Block

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

Default Might be getting Cobra Block

Well, there you go!!!! I am now ready to start shopping for a new heart and soul for my baby. I have an opportunity to buy a 04 Cobra shortblock. It is an 8 bolt crank w/ 47k on it. What all am I going to need to get it workinig in my car and how close are the accessories for it. As far as I know in my build right now, I will need an 8 bolt flywheel. Is the clutch different? And will my nonPI heads fit. I believe they had 11 bolts and were Windsor heads but am no 100% positive. Will be putting my 2v heads on and an intake manifold but the block, pistons, rods, etc. are all together in the block. It is of course the bulletproof bottom end that we all talk about. The million dollar question is, Is it worth putting into my car?

P.S. I know I have to put head gaskets and crap on. And, please no"PI and FI or bust" posts. I am doing the P&P nonPI heads and the T45 tranny for the moment due to money and my project. Will the input shaft be all good from the T45?

Thanks for any and all responses!!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Might be getting Cobra Block

Bump

And, The clutch that I would use now is a 10.5" clutch. Would using the Cobra block change that to an 11" clutch. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:53 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

If you're goin to do that.. I wouldn't reuse the non pi heads... You can pick up Cobra heads pretty cheap - however the Terminator heads are the weak part of our motors... but that's only if you're going to be going up in hp... if you're going to keep it with a fairly sane amt of hp, you'd be fine. I just wouldn't put those non pi heads in the car, even if they do fit.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:57 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

that shortblock is a direct replacement except for the 8 bolt flywheel that you already know about. You reuse your timing cover so that all the accessories stay in the correct spot.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

that shortblock is a direct replacement except for the 8 bolt flywheel that you already know about. You reuse your timing cover so that all the accessories stay in the correct spot.
Thanks a lot!!! I was hoping that. What do you think about different clutches??? I could just use the same thing as long as I had the 8 bolt flywheel right???

xxKazp- I am not trying to be a dick at all. I am doing a nonPI/T45 build and am aiming for about 450ish rwhp w/ FI(I.E. TT) I want to be in vette territory w/ these components and am already at 302 rwhp. That is why I am using them, ported and polished but yes, using them. btw, nice cobra
Old 02-10-2007, 02:21 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

I think you just need to swap the flywheel and the rest fits but i'm not 100% sure since i'm an auto guy and only researched what i needed for my auto to work with a Cobra 8 bolt crank.

Nothing wrong with NPI heads as long as they are ported and have bigger valves installed. Then they will flow as well as ported PI heads...just don't use the NPI intake or cams [8D]
Old 02-10-2007, 02:26 PM
jacrockett
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

If you're goin to do that.. I wouldn't reuse the non pi heads... You can pick up Cobra heads pretty cheap - however the Terminator heads are the weak part of our motors... but that's only if you're going to be going up in hp... if you're going to keep it with a fairly sane amt of hp, you'd be fine. I just wouldn't put those non pi heads in the car, even if they do fit.
4v Cobra heads are awesome, but then he has to change aLOT more.... front cover/pulleys, wiring harness, intake, exhaust, every hose, cable, etc.

When putting in a new motor, I don't see why not PI heads? Seems like a big waste of $$$ w/o good heads.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

bump,

any other takers???