4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Power Steering/Brake System Pressure problems......HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:32 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Power Steering/Brake System Pressure problems......HELP!!

here,some reading material..may help the original poster...
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf030542.htm
Old 02-10-2007, 04:48 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

After reading the article, I still don't see how it could have triggered an ABS light, since the 2 systems are only directly connected from the fact that the Master cylinder is attached to the Hydro-boost.. Unless he just burned an ABS out, completely unrelated...

What would cause an ABS light w/ a malfunctioning Hydroboost??

JT
Old 02-10-2007, 05:08 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

After reading the article, I still don't see how it could have triggered an ABS light, since the 2 systems are only directly connected from the fact that the Master cylinder is attached to the Hydro-boost.. Unless he just burned an ABS out, completely unrelated...

What would cause an ABS light w/ a malfunctioning Hydroboost??

JT
Could be something as simple as a power steering pressure switch code(lack of hydralic pressure),,ecm sees this,,knows there a brake problem,,turns the light on and shutsthe absoff...I 've had other vehicles, wherethird brake light bulb was out and set a abs light,,.....any time the abs light is on..constant,,abs is disabled...hard ot say until he actaully checks the code....or those dounts could have set it...
Old 02-10-2007, 06:09 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Would resetting the ECU solve the switch malfunction?? I could see how a high-G turn could cut the pressure off, especially if the fluid was low, or sloshed enough away from the pickup in the resevoir..

They mentioned bleeding, but I don't see that as a viable option, since they made mention that the unit is not very serviceable... I'm under the impression though, that Ford's ABS config. is only set to throw a code for absolute ABS system malfunction, versus insufficient brake pressure or fluid level... Then again, this is all from other reading I've done, but it's not from Ford...

On a side note: W/ ABS disabled, whether intentionally or unintentionally, it also disables the Traction Control system.. In case some of you didn't know...

JT
Old 02-10-2007, 09:35 PM
00stanggt

Yeah, i think after reading all of your posts that it is most likely the hydro booster. I went by autozone today and its gunna cost me about 250$, so if anyone has any other ideas on what it could be before i spend the money, it would help. Because if there was a way that i could fix the problem without replacing the booster it would help BTW i replaced the power steering fluid just for the hell of it and it didnt fix anything. The fluid level was normal before although the fluid was a little dirty. Once again thanks alot to everyone who has posted thusfar i hope the problem either works itself out like it did before or the booster is in fact the problem. Thanks again guys.
-Justin
Old 02-10-2007, 09:43 PM
00stanggt

Oh and i did reset the ECU, didnt help anything. As far as the ABS light tripping for total system malfunction, it came on the first time that this incident happend but went off within a few minutes. Unfortunately i didnt check on why the code was tripped because it turned off and the car went back to normal. The second time it happend the light didnt come on, but i reset the ECU before i checked to see why the previous code was tripped, thinking it would fix itself again.