4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Power Steering/Brake System Pressure problems......HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:23 PM
00stanggt

Default Power Steering/Brake System Pressure problems......HELP!!

Ok, about two weeks ago i did a burnout in my mustang. Its a 2000 GT. I popped the clutch hit the brakes and let um burn. After i let off the brake and came to a stop my ABS light came on and my power steering was "out". The pressure in the brake and power steering system was so great that i could barely turn and alot of problems stopping. I figured this was from me having my foot on the brake, i let the car sit over night and it was fine the next day. Well, last night i was doing a few doughnuts, nothing serious and the same thing happened again. This time without my foot being on the brake it ruled out my cause and effect for the last time. This morning when i woke up the problem is still there and has been all day. If anyone knows of a way that i could somehow release the pressure, or if someone has had something like this happen to them and has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks Alot,
-Justin-
Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 PM
00stanggt

Default RE: Power Steering/Brake System Pressure problems......HELP!!

^
Old 02-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

Sounds to me you like abusing your clutch
Old 02-09-2007, 09:56 PM
genes01stang
1st Gear Member

hows your belt?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:03 PM
00stanggt

The belts are fine, and i dont know what the clutch would have to do with the brake system/power steering, please elaborate. Thanks for the responces so far any other help would be greatly appreciated! Im thinking myself that it might have something to do with the power brake booster, but not sure.
Thanks,
-Justin
Old 02-10-2007, 06:03 AM
00stanggt

^
Old 02-10-2007, 01:23 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Sounds like, to me, that you overheated your brakes on the first night, and possibly glazed the rotors.. The second night, while you were doing donuts, you may have overheated a caliper, causing the seal to melt some, and possibly stop the caliper pistons from actuating properly..

Your power steering problem, I don't know.. Doing donuts doesn't help your steering rack much, since you're putting a lot of axial pressure on it... That wouldn't necessarily mean much though.. What's the fluid level/color??

You should be able to get a code from the ABS Light though, if you can get it scanned.. At least you could rule out the ABS module, or ABS Sensors...

JT
Old 02-10-2007, 01:51 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Yourpower steering also supplies pressure to you hydro-boost brakes....without p/s pressure, youwill not have p/s or "Easy" brake peddle pressure......might have a p/s unit going south....listen to see it the p/s is making any noise(look in there to see if fluid iscirculating),check the fluid level.....I've seen a few,where the shafts actually break on the p/s units,,,only thing holding the pulley in ,was the belt...
Old 02-10-2007, 02:39 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Just for my own benefit, how does the P/S assist the brake booster?? I didn't know P/S used a vac. signal, just input from the steering rack/pump...

Also, I didn't think that you'd trigger an ABS light by a failed vac. signal, rather a "BRAKE," MIL...

JT
Old 02-10-2007, 04:25 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

Just for my own benefit, how does the P/S assist the brake booster?? I didn't know P/S used a vac. signal, just input from the steering rack/pump...

Also, I didn't think that you'd trigger an ABS light by a failed vac. signal, rather a "BRAKE," MIL...

JT
Hydroboost brakes,,,,,hydraulic-assist(from the p/s pump).....no vaccum booster...no vaccum......yes,,could set an abs light....

Quick Reply: Power Steering/Brake System Pressure problems......HELP!!