4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Questions, starter,gears,gas,check engine, etc please help!

Old 10-20-2004, 04:25 PM
ownage9

Default Questions, starter,gears,gas,check engine, etc please help!

1. My car takes a lonnng time to start sometimes, like 4-5 secs on occaision, I usually use midgrade gas, sometimes I use the lowest unleaded, does that have anything to do with how fast my car will start?

2. I have a 96 convertible GT, I get only like 12-13 miles a gallon, any clue why my MPG are so low? I have a good air filter and the tires are all fine in air... any clues? How can I get better MPG on gas?

3. Does taking soo long to start burn some of my gas? Also, is there any way to lose gas with the car off? It seems like everytime I start it, it has less gas then when I last turned it off...

4. Do I need posi to get a 3.73 gear put in?

5. Also, I recently filled my tires to 40 psi, I checked two weeks later (today) and the front two and the back left are at 35, while the back lefts at like 27 or 28... any clue what I should do? Its obviously leaking, should I take it somewhere or should I do it myself? I have no clue where its leakin.

Lastly, I've noticed when I head to and from my girlfriends house, as I take the same routes to and from, that everytime I hit a certain road on the way home, almost at the exact same time each time, that the check engine light comes on. It goes off the next morning or so, and only coems on when Im coming home from her house, any clue why?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Questions, starter,gears,gas,check engine, etc please help!

No, the grade of gas you use makes no difference in starting.How many miles on the last set of plugs and wires?Starting would use very little fuel.Yes you can lose gas with the engine shut off,leaks and theivery come to mind.Gasoline expands when heated ,a lot,so the guage can read lower in the morning. You have a posi already.How old are the tires?The valves?Yes air will find a way out of a pressurised tire and wheel.Check for leaks with soap and water,look for bubbles,there's the leak.The same road at the same time.Try a different road and drive the car someplace else and see if it acts the same way.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:26 PM
ownage9

Thanks alot chopper, but if there were gas leaks Id see them under the car, correct? Also, anything I can do to get better gas mileage? Also if i have posi how come from the line I don't smoke them? I do take in mind its an auto but don't most other stock gts smoke them from the line if you punch it?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Gas mileage depends on how you drive the car.You would be able to smell leaks.If the plugs or wires are shot the car would behave as you say.If you have over 60 or 70,000 miles on the plugs and wires I would expect to replace them.Fuel filter also.You have a recirculating fuel system.They will heat up the fuel returning to the tank.This would cause the gas guage to read lower when everything has cooled down than it did when you first shut the car off.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:46 PM
ownage9

Whats it cost to replace plugs and wires? ALso wheres the fuel filter?
Old 10-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

That depends on what kind of plugs and wires.Double Platinums cost about $4.00 apiece.Autolite coppers about $2.00.Wires are more expensive.Remember you get what you pay for!!!It's been awhile since I had to buy any.The last wires I bought were for a Lincoln MK VIII. $150.00 a set.If you replace plugs,BE SURE to use anti-seize compound on the threads or it will be a one way installation. Also, go to Autozone or Advance Auto and get the engine checked for codes.(Don't cost nothin)This can give you a heads up on problems with the check engine light,and might solve the problem altogether.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:17 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

sounds like you need a complete tune-up to me with new spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, new fuel filter and air filter for starters.
40 psi is too high a pressure to run in your tires as this will wear out the centers of them and make the ride lots harsher too. drop them down to 35 psi max and keep an eye on the tire wear, you may need to lower them some more still to get even tire wear. higher pressure will improve gas mileage a bit, but I wouldn't run high pressure all the time, only on long road trips. also check the tire pressures only when the tires are cold, like first thing in the morning before you have driven anywhere. air pressure in tires is also a factor of the outside air temperature, pressure will drop 1 psi for every 10 degree drop in outside air temperature, so you need to check the pressure at least monthly if not more often to keep them properly inflated.
how you drive has a whole lot to do with the gas mileage you get, so don't be so heavy on the gas pedal all the time if you want to get some better mileage. the sooner you shift into the higher gears, the less work the engine has to do and this helps with mileage too.
unless you have a gas leak somewhere, the gas doesn't just disappear overnight unless someone is stealing it from you. modern cars have a closed gas tank ventilation system which prevents most evaporation of gas into the atmosphere.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:19 PM
1{}D{}{V}{}DGT
2nd Gear Member

if i was u bro i would get a tune up new belts distributor wires etc.... and how many miles doe it have???