4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

my poor clutch..

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:14 PM
dgantt
1st Gear Member

Default my poor clutch..

I think my clutch has gone out, the car only has 38000 on it and I have only put 500 miles on it. I was driving Sunday and went to go from 2nd to 3rd and I could not get it into a gear. The pedal has always been firm and is now way soft. Also when the cluch is engaged it sounds like sand paper being rubed together, when I disengage it, it stops. Also I can't put the car in reverse with out it grinding bad. Is this a hydraulic set up? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: my poor clutch..

did it only grind going into 3rd? if i was only 3rd then it could just be a bad synchro. you can also try this, go on a 50+ mph road and go into 5th. then just floor it, and if your rpms jump and the car doesnt really speed up, then its worn out. you can also come to a coomplete stop and put it in 5th and pop the clutch. if it stalls right away then the clutch is fine. if it hesitates to stall then again its worn. also what year is your car becuase 38000 miles and the clutch going out is kinda hard to believe unless it had the **** beat outta it. and the clutch systems on mustangs is a cable system.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:29 PM
dgantt
1st Gear Member

OK thanks goes to show you what the ford service department knows they swore up and down that it was a hydaulic set up, but I couldn't find the reservoir. I just bought the car last month its a roush stage 2 and it is in prefect shape, but someone could have beat the clutch. The car goes in all 5 gears with no problem except reverse, I feel a huge difference in pedeal pressure and smelt the cluct burning. Also it is makeing a noise like sand paper rubbing together. I did not get on it yesterday for fear of being stranded. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

reverse can sometimes be problems for these cars. but since your smelling clutch its slipping. your gonna need to replace it very soon. depending on what ur plans are for the car you can either go for a stage 1 or stage 2 clutch. A lot of people on here say SPEC and centerforce are good ones. another good one would be the king cobra clutch.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:34 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

so it went out suddenly? i was under the impression that clutches went out kinda gradually?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

not all the time. my friends wasnt slipping at all, then he was driving home and it just took a poop on him. he couldnt get into any gear but first. so he had to drive i forget how man miles in first gear.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:38 PM
dgantt
1st Gear Member

No this was sudden, I went from 2nd to 3rd and got stuck in neutral. The pedal went to the floor, I slowed down pumped on the pedal a few times and it came back up. I was able to get it back into gaer butI smelt the clutch and now it makes noise and the pedal fells way to soft.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

justorder a new clutch. i know when mine goes im gonna get a SPEC stage 2, but i go to the trackover the summerand i need something that can take that abuse. and i also like heavy clutches. no one wants to drive the car then.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
dgantt
1st Gear Member

What kind of job its it to replace it, its there web site I can referance for help. The haynes manual is not much help. Also since I have to replace it what do you guys think of an aluminum fly wheel, it is an everyday drive so I'm not sure about that.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

dont get an aluminum flywheel, they really dont help much unless ur pushing out big power. the only really difference ull see in on is that itll rev quicker and the engine speed will drop a little quicker. ull also need to get ur rotating assembly balanced again if u get one. i say just get ur current flywheel resurfaced. as for putting a clutch in, itll take a day to do. the tranny needs to be dropped, the old clutch removed, new one put in. and if you dont have access to a lift itll be a pain in the butt. when i did my exhuast, i did it on jackstands and it was a royal pain. if you really wanna save some money and do it your self it is possible, but if money isnt that much of an issue just save yourself the trouble and have it done at a shop.

Quick Reply: my poor clutch..