4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LS2

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:44 AM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: LS2

So, if you're such a diehard Bowtie nut, what in Heaven's name are you doing here? Sell that car ( looks kinda ridiculous in that color anyway) and get yourself a 2002 Camaro SS... And I'll spank your ugly-catfish-drivin' behind up and down the strip.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:55 AM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SSFenris

So, if you're such a diehard Bowtie nut, what in Heaven's name are you doing here? Sell that car ( looks kinda ridiculous in that color anyway) and get yourself a 2002 Camaro SS... And I'll spank your ugly-catfish-drivin' behind up and down the strip.
are you talking to me, or the original poster. If you are talking to me then I never said i liked the looks of the camaro just that they have a kickass driveline. I would never sell my car and buy a camaro, would i put an LSX series in a mustang, prolly not but I wouldnt be opposed to it. The originator of this post is prolly looking for a way to go fast cheap. If you were a mechanically inclined it would not be very hard to swap out the motors. I would buy an LS1(2) donor car if it was me to do it.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:08 AM
cahtr6
3rd Gear Member

good luck finding a donor car for less than 8 or 9 thousand wrecked
Old 02-13-2007, 03:15 AM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cahtr6

Ok, you can buy an LS1 camaro for that price that isnt wrecked.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:35 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If you have to be asking questions like what people think about it and how hard it is you probably cannot pull it off anyway.

Massive amounts of custom fabrication, absolutly no aftermarket support for getting it done, and insane amounts of money spent would be the result. Guarenteed you can make more power for less money with your 2v.

Edit: Besides all that, its just wrong!
Old 02-13-2007, 03:36 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

ORIGINAL: cahtr6

Ok, you can buy an LS1 camaro for that price that isnt wrecked.

Its too bad that LS1 camaros don't come with LS2 engines isn't it?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:42 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

an ls1 conversion costs like 8-10 grand, you need the cpu, the wiring harnes, the motor, the k member, motormounts, custom gauge cluster, etc. i wanna do the same thing lol, but it takes alot of money
Old 02-13-2007, 04:16 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ih8chevy

it all depends, there is a guy on this forum that got a terminator motor with 20000 mi. on it for 300 dollars. it all depends. plus with a pulley swap he will be faster than a camed ls1. then with a kb 2.4 swap he will be faster than a h/c/i and nitroused ls1. so think about that. its all being patient. and the cobra block can handle 1500 hp, thats over 2 times as much as an ls2. so thats another reason to consider that. plus it would be a mix bread, theres already enough of them in fox bodies, no need to have one in a new edge.

ORIGINAL: BADSEED

Whut do you guys think of an LS2 in a 99 GT?
I think it would be cool, I would prolly do an LS1 swap with a H/C/I version for the money you would spend on an LS6. There would be alot of fabrication and wiring work but it would be cool. He can do an LS1 swap with a cam and some spray and make more power than he could with a terminator swap alone, and for the same or less money.
300 dollars for an 03 cobra engine, He would need everything to do the swap including computer, wiring harness etc etc. They are on ebay for usually around 6+ grand. 300 dollars [sm=bs.gif]LS1's go for $2500-3500.

A pulley swapped cobra would have a helluva time beating a cammed LS1

A KB 2.4 cobra wouldnt be able to take a h/c/i and sprayed LS1. Not too mention he will be spending 6 grand on a KB. H/C/I and spray for an LS1 ~ 3500

1500 horsepower is not streetable.
Man I'm gonna have to say you have no idea. A pullied cobra will have NO problem beating a cam only LS1. While we are talking about blower upgrades, why dont we just throw the big boy in there? Whipple 3.2L on the Cobra would have NO problem with an H/C/I sprayed LS1.

Lets say in theory that a H/C/I LS1 will be 500rwhp. A cobra can hit that with a Eaton. Add on the 2.8L KB or the new 3.2L Whipple, it would go hp for hp and beyond with that same LS1 on spray.

May I direct you to this idea.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:26 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

it all depends, there is a guy on this forum that got a terminator motor with 20000 mi. on it for 300 dollars. it all depends. plus with a pulley swap he will be faster than a camed ls1. then with a kb 2.4 swap he will be faster than a h/c/i and nitroused ls1. so think about that. its all being patient. and the cobra block can handle 1500 hp, thats over 2 times as much as an ls2. so thats another reason to consider that. plus it would be a mix bread, theres already enough of them in fox bodies, no need to have one in a new edge.

I think it would be cool, I would prolly do an LS1 swap with a H/C/I version for the money you would spend on an LS6. There would be alot of fabrication and wiring work but it would be cool. He can do an LS1 swap with a cam and some spray and make more power than he could with a terminator swap alone, and for the same or less money.
300 dollars for an 03 cobra engine, He would need everything to do the swap including computer, wiring harness etc etc. They are on ebay for usually around 6+ grand. 300 dollars [sm=bs.gif]LS1's go for $2500-3500.

A KB 2.4 cobra wouldnt be able to take a h/c/i and sprayed LS1. Not too mention he will be spending 6 grand on a KB. H/C/I and spray for an LS1 ~ 3500

Man I'm gonna have to say you have no idea. A pullied cobra will have NO problem beating a cam only LS1. While we are talking about blower upgrades, why dont we just throw the big boy in there? Whipple 3.2L on the Cobra would have NO problem with an H/C/I sprayed LS1.

Lets say in theory that a H/C/I LS1 will be 500rwhp. A cobra can hit that with a Eaton. Add on the 2.8L KB or the new 3.2L Whipple, it would go hp for hp and beyond with that same LS1 on spray.

+1.. kinda

A pullied 03 cobra assembly in a 99-04 GT would be insane. Your talking a good 400+ pounds lighter car (even with the swap the GT is lots lighter) with a stick axle. A pullied/midpipe/catback car (who would use the stock exhaust on a cobra swap?) should make 450+ WHP easy. Even a full exhaust/intake bolton LS1 + cam will only make around 390-410 WHP, in a heavyer car. I would even go so far to say that with the eaton the 03 will have a much better looking TQ curve as well.

A H/C/I + spray LS1 will make more than 500 WHP though. The limiting factor at that point is gonna be the strength of the rotating assembly. 98LS1 is making 500+ whp with the stock heads/intake (boltons, spray, cam). Gotta think a H/C/I/Spray LS1 car (with the boltons) is gonna make dammed close to 600 WHP (or more)if the rotating assembly can handle it.

Regardless, a KB swap 03 assembly can easily make 650+ WHP on even a stock motor, and it will sure as hell be alot more streetable than a cammed/worked heads/intake car. With the stock assembly it should run like a stocker until you get into boost. If we count spray into the mix you can hit dammed near 600 WHP with the eaton though (ported eaton which is cheap, exhaust, pully, tune, spray). There have been quite a few cars make 530+ WHP with a ported stock eaton.

A 03/04 cobra assembly (or even the block) is NOT gonna handle 1500 horsepower. Thats just an insane number. Even if it could, your not gonna get there in anything close to a streetable car.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:56 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

+1.. kinda

A pullied 03 cobra assembly in a 99-04 GT would be insane. Your talking a good 400+ pounds lighter car (even with the swap the GT is lots lighter) with a stick axle. A pullied/midpipe/catback car (who would use the stock exhaust on a cobra swap?) should make 450+ WHP easy. Even a full exhaust/intake bolton LS1 + cam will only make around 390-410 WHP, in a heavyer car. I would even go so far to say that with the eaton the 03 will have a much better looking TQ curve as well.

A H/C/I + spray LS1 will make more than 500 WHP though. The limiting factor at that point is gonna be the strength of the rotating assembly. 98LS1 is making 500+ whp with the stock heads/intake (boltons, spray, cam). Gotta think a H/C/I/Spray LS1 car (with the boltons) is gonna make dammed close to 600 WHP (or more)if the rotating assembly can handle it.

Regardless, a KB swap 03 assembly can easily make 650+ WHP on even a stock motor, and it will sure as hell be alot more streetable than a cammed/worked heads/intake car. With the stock assembly it should run like a stocker until you get into boost. If we count spray into the mix you can hit dammed near 600 WHP with the eaton though (ported eaton which is cheap, exhaust, pully, tune, spray). There have been quite a few cars make 530+ WHP with a ported stock eaton.

A 03/04 cobra assembly (or even the block) is NOT gonna handle 1500 horsepower. Thats just an insane number. Even if it could, your not gonna get there in anything close to a streetable car.
I think me and you are on the same page. Maybe you misread. I stated that a Cobra with the Eaton(maybe ported) could keep up with or beat a H/C/I LS1. N/A. No spray. Cam only no question. And then with a blower upgrade it could keep up with or beat a sprayed H/C/I LS1. I think we said the same thing.

Quick Reply: LS2