4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Some general questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 AM
sarNz
2nd Gear Member

Default Some general questions

Hey guys, just wondering a few things about the 99-04 GT's.

1. Sorry for my lack of engine knowledge (I've only rebuilt a dirtbike motor) but can you take cobra heads that are 4v and switch them with the stock 2v heads? I'm sure I am forgetting something huge but go ahead and laugh
2. Do they make the heat extractor hood found on the 03-04 cobra's to fit the GT? I think those look sweet.
3. If you were to rebuild an engine, where would you get a list of forged parts?
4. Why don't I ever see people drift in mustangs? I don't want to be a professional drifter or anything, but I give ultimate props to anyone who can control their car like that. Are they too heavy or does all the suspension upgrading make it slower in a straight line?

I guess that's it for now, hopefully I'll have a new ride sometime in May..
Old 02-13-2007, 12:19 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Some general questions

1. Sorry for my lack of engine knowledge (I've only rebuilt a dirtbike motor) but can you take cobra heads that are 4v and switch them with the stock 2v heads? I'm sure I am forgetting something huge but go ahead and laugh
2. Do they make the heat extractor hood found on the 03-04 cobra's to fit the GT? I think those look sweet.
3. If you were to rebuild an engine, where would you get a list of forged parts?
4. Why don't I ever see people drift in mustangs? I don't want to be a professional drifter or anything, but I give ultimate props to anyone who can control their car like that. Are they too heavy or does all the suspension upgrading make it slower in a straight line?
Ok here we go, some people will add I'm sure, lots of knowledgable guys on here.

1. No 4V heads will not bolt up to a 2V motor, there are differences in the motors and it is just not possible.
2. Yes you can fit a Cobra hood on a GT, there are no fitment issues and many of our members have done it already.
3. The forged parts that would be needed is the rotating assembly which is: crank, pistons, pushrods - you would need to get a aftermarket rotating assembly kit, VTengines.com makes some of the best engine parts for our cars.
4. Yes they are pretty heavy cars, the suspension would have to be built up pretty good, obviously the stock supsension would crap out on you... Not completely sure on this one, but the safe bet is, most people don't do it because it is just not worth it. With any setup, the suspension is going to get a great deal of ware, and most people don't have the $$ to keep replacing it.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

4v heads will bolt up to the 2v motors. Its all of the other accessories required to make the swap work that keeps people from doing it. From a financial standpoint its not worth it unless you get all of the parts for next to nothing.

There are no pushrods in the modular motors, you mean connecting rods.

Most people around here think drifting is pointless. I dunno, if you can do it well it looks cool. Not my thing though, Id rather just go fast. Tires are expensive too.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:00 AM
fiad06
5th Gear Member

I have heard there is a small gap if you put the cobra hood on the GT...im not sure though
Old 02-13-2007, 01:02 AM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

im still a newbie when it comes to motors, but i saw a special on the speed network about a guy whose one of the top ranked in a drift race league in his 2006 mustang gt. So yea it can be done but i think he dropped a ton of money into his car. Also there is a viper in the same league that always competes with him, its somewhere in japan. Can any one back me up on that? I remember seeing it but i dn't have all details
Old 02-13-2007, 01:04 AM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

the cobra hood should fit, as there is no difference in the fram or any other part of the car, aside from spoiler and hood, all other measurments are the same.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 AM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

actually some dude won the professional drift contest last year (if im not mistaken) in the new mustang thats out
Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

yes Ford did win in the Grand Am cup i think? I have a magazine somewhere showing it with TOYO stickers everywhere drifting... pretty cool actually... just not my thing.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:41 AM
sarNz
2nd Gear Member

thats cool. what can poor people do anymore to have all the fun i bet most of you guys if you were superstars would light the tires up at every light if you could afford it! haha

hopefully the honda to mustang upgrade will be this spring / summer, i want something that i can have fun with. i would definitely get 17 inch wheels for it, for cheaper rubber, and probably upgrade the suspension before the motor. it seems that a lot of people like the bolt ons and are penny pinching for every bit of horsepower they can get with those. i like to save for the big things and notice the big difference!

on a side note, anyone watch 24?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

Most of us can't sit and wait on the bigmods when we can see/feel/hear a difference with the "penny pinching for every bit of hp" mods that we make.
Like me for example out side of gears and a better programmer (Hypertech III) I should be pretty happy with what I've done to the car.

Quick Reply: Some general questions