4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cracked intake manifold... anyone had this problem or have any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Default Cracked intake manifold... anyone had this problem or have any advice?

My intake manifold has cracked right where the thermostate housing is. It sprays coolant everywhere and I have to replace the whole manifold. There are after market manifolds that have an aluminum crossover for the thermostate housing. Should I go with that or does anyone recommend getting a Bullit intake manifold? Also this website said that a crack where mine is causes major engine damage:

"The original intake manifold, due to the design, has an abnormal tendency to crack, leading to overheating and in many cases complete engine failure and/or damage to other parts of the car's engine. This new and improved intake manifold is designed to eliminate those problems!"
Old 02-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cracked intake manifold... anyone had this problem or have any advice?

Your car would really onlybe damaged if you overheated it. The bullitt is a nice setup but its upwards of $1500 all said and done. If you have to get it fixed now, just get a pi manifold with the aluminum crossover and wait to see what Trickflow does. Trickflow is supposed to have their manifold out in the next month or two. Looks very similar to the bullitt and is supposed to be reasonably priced.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cracked intake manifold... anyone had this problem or have any advice?

first, go see if it is under warrenty at the ford dealer. Mine is a 98 and it was covered in 04
Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

I would try to go with an aluminum intake but if anythin just get the plastic intake with the aluminum crossover. My intake cracked a couple of months ago; it is a fairly easy job just really time consuming. Nevertheless, it is simple, if you have any questions feel free to ask !
Old 02-13-2007, 12:46 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

theres a bullitt intake on ebay right now.
i just saw it 5min. ago.
go on ebay and type in "bullitt manifold"
its $600 right now.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:47 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Go to your local Ford Dealer ASAP, you may still be covered...we were givin a 7 year extended warranty/recall for the intake issue so you need to find out when your in service date is and go 7 years from that.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Being in college money is tight... so yeah maybe the Bullit is out of the question. I did research on it and it's not worth the money. I'll have to take a look at the Trick Flow manifold as soon as it comes out. Looks like I'm gonna go with the stock replacement with the aluminum cross-over though. Oh and thanks for the heads up, I'll try going to a Ford dealership and seeing if its under warrenty as soon as the snow clears. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

you can even call the Ford dealer and give them your Vin# and they will tell you if its still covered. If its not you can find a replacement for under $200 and its very easy to change yourself.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Yeah I just called two dealerships the one pissed me off by saying it was just for the Crown Vic and the Grand Marques 4.6L. I gave one dealership my vin and they said they will call me back as soon as their system is up.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:14 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Dealerships are usually full of idiots so sometimes you have to talk to a few until you get someone who is not a complete moron.

Quick Reply: Cracked intake manifold... anyone had this problem or have any advice?