MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Pulling the heads... fingers crossed (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/244860-pulling-the-heads-fingers-crossed.html)

Nitti00GT 02-13-2007 02:43 PM

Pulling the heads... fingers crossed

I am going to attempt to pull my heads. My valve seals have went on two of the cylinders on my drivers side, on top of that I have a cracked intake manifold so that is getting replaced to (so much **** is going on this thing!). I am taking the headsdown to a performance/machine shop where they said they will recondition both heads for $110. They said they could port them for $75 an hour, depending on what port job I am going with it should take 1-3 hours per head.

Is the port job worth it? Any suggestions on pulling the heads?

bransdaman78 02-13-2007 02:51 PM

RE: Pulling the heads... fingers crossed

yea its worth it, port match and polish

racer02GTstang 02-13-2007 02:56 PM

it should take about 12 hours to get the heads off for the first time... you have to remove the radiator to better access (i stood inside the engine bay taking the headers off the heads... if you have stock manifolds it will be alot easier than having LT's... i took my heads off with the engine still in the car..

Nitti00GT 02-13-2007 02:59 PM

Yeah I have stock exhaust manifolds. Getting everthing back on and having the car start is what I am worried about. I concider myself mechanically inclined and I read up on head removal and installation so wish me luck lol.

racer02GTstang 02-13-2007 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: 00TropicGreenStang

Yeah I have stock exhaust manifolds. Getting everthing back on and having the car start is what I am worried about. I concider myself mechanically inclined and I read up on head removal and installation so wish me luck lol.
well... for the timing chain... what i did was took a bunch of zip ties.. and i zip tied the gears to the chain.. its kinda redneck but if it saves me from having to retime the car, its well worth it.

Nitti00GT 02-13-2007 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

well... for the timing chain... what i did was took a bunch of zip ties.. and i zip tied the gears to the chain.. its kinda redneck but if it saves me from having to retime the car, its well worth it.
Haha sounds like it would work though. I was just gonna put a dot on the chain and a dot on the sproket next to each other and match them up when I put it back on. Also don't you have to turn the motor so thata notch on the crack shaft is pointing up. They said to do this so that none of the pistons are at TDC and that the valves won't get crushed.

racer02GTstang 02-13-2007 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

Haha sounds like it would work though. I was just gonna put a dot on the chain and a dot on the sproket next to each other and match them up when I put it back on. Also don't you have to turn the motor so thata notch on the crack shaft is pointing up. They said to do this so that none of the pistons are at TDC and that the valves won't get crushed.
ive never heard of this... i know as soon as you put the cams on, the valves will open up again.. but i dont think the car would have trouble with it, as long as the valve is forced into it.... im sure if you slowly turn the motor by hand, your not gonna hurt a valve.

Nitti00GT 02-13-2007 03:22 PM

oh ok, I'll let you know how it goes. I might wait til next week cause of all the snow we are getting this week.

racer02GTstang 02-13-2007 03:31 PM

oh ok, I'll let you know how it goes. I might wait til next week cause of all the snow we are getting this week.
oh, are you having to do this job outside?

Nitti00GT 02-13-2007 04:06 PM

Unfortunatly yes. My garage is way topacked with crapand its pretty small, kinda wierd since it was built in the 50's and cars back then were tanks.