4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

thinking of supercharging

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:53 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: thinking of supercharging

I wouldn't get the Saleen or Roushcharger... overpriced and underpowered. 4.10's and a Roots blower, is going to be to rough on your tranny, clutch and axle. Go with a Centri s/c... 4.10's are typically to steep a gear for 400rwhp as it is for your tranny/axle/clutch combo... you will be better off with a Procharger/Vortech type blower... I personally love Procharger.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 PM
mp23

You will like either one, I dont know how much a procharger or vortech kit is, a Kenne Bell with all the goodies will run you about $5,800 if you install it yourself. You dont need a tune with the Kenne Belle, they give you a new chip.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:34 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mp23

You will like either one, I dont know how much a procharger or vortech kit is, a Kenne Bell with all the goodies will run you about $5,800 if you install it yourself. You dont need a tune with the Kenne Belle, they give you a new chip.
WRONG... Any canned tune is crap and all of the completekits come with one. Take it to a dyno shop even just to make sure that everything is ok ORblow your motor up the third time that you get on it... Your choice.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:47 PM
mp23

No Im not wrong. and the tune that comes with it is not crap. Take it to your local yocal and let him play around with it, im sure he knows more about it than the company who designed the system and has done thousands of dyno tests on the product. Nothing wrong with testing it to make sure it is where it is supposed to be but I would not mess with it.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:08 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

You forgot to reallize that EVERY CAR IS DIFFERENT and everybody has different mods. Not to mention every blower is different. I made 407whp on a pretty much stock car. Somebody else could have made 420whp with fewer or more mods. They tested there product on 2 or 3 of the same cars over and over again.

Ask anyone with forced induction on this or ANY BOARD who has any idea what they are talking about and they will tell you to get a dyno tune. Do you even have a KB or any kind of supercharger???
Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

That canned tune isn't going to be good for that. It wont blow him up no, because its going to be rich so he can be conservative. Tuning a car is depending on weather, location and car... not every car will perform the same even right next to each other, not to mention in another part of the country. I wouldn't trust that tune to save my life.

Unless, he wants to change his rear, axle, tranny and clutch - I would again not go with a roots blower, if you get traction and get to good of traction your axle can snap, it can mess with your tranny, and your clutch TOB will probably bust. You don't have to worry much about a input shaft until your around 450rwhp i think... His car isn't made to handle all the torque a roots/twin screw will throw at it so low. I would say no to Kenne Belle unless you back your gearing off a lil bit to atleast a 3.73. a good procharger will run you around 5k... There are a couple of people here with procharged gt's and cobras.. they can tell you how much it ran...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:44 PM
mp23

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

You forgot to reallize that EVERY CAR IS DIFFERENT and everybody has different mods. Not to mention every blower is different. I made 407whp on a pretty much stock car. Somebody else could have made 420whp with fewer or more mods. They tested there product on 2 or 3 of the same cars over and over again.

Ask anyone with forced induction on this or ANY BOARD who has any idea what they are talking about and they will tell you to get a dyno tune. Do you even have a KB or any kind of supercharger???
Yes I do have a Kenne Belle,do you?The owners I know who have messed with them and had them tuned went slower. I realize that every set up is different. That is why you fill out sheet with your mods and send it to them before they build you the kit and your chip. It is not a one size fits all tune. My experience is that there are a lot of so called experts who dont know their A$$ from a hole in the ground so I dont put a whole lot of stock in what I read on the message boards. What do you expect a tuner to say?

I dont know about the other kits and I really dont care, but I do know about my system and I also know there are many many considerations when it comes to the tune. Could youget 20 more HP out of it? maybe, but I woud rather have 20 less hp than blow up. Mine runs perfect right out of the box. If you want the car to run and idle like it came from the factory until you stomp on it than leave it alone.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:19 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

mp your tune maybe fine.. but i am sure you're running rich, leaving hp on the table.

It's pretty ignorant of you to think that tuners can't tune a car properly. I think you need to go to a good tuner.. haha
Old 02-16-2007, 10:25 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

if you get a s/c kit, even if its centri, bump your gears back a little, thats a crap load of stress on the drive train and tranny
Old 02-16-2007, 10:44 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

mp your tune maybe fine.. but i am sure you're running rich, leaving hp on the table.

It's pretty ignorant of you to think that tuners can't tune a car properly. I think you need to go to a good tuner.. haha
Inst that the pot calling the kettle black, everybody seems sold on joe blows advertised tuning ablity, but a wise person would only use a tuner that has verififably (in person) seem him/her tune a similiar car w/ similar mods to yours... i.e. a great s/c tuner, is not necessary a great turbo tuner. While anybody with an IQ over 10 would agree that the canned tune is not as good as a custom dyno tune, not every one is in a part of the country where they can get a well known tuner, anyway all im trying to say is that its just as ignorant to look on the internet and pull up links and dynos and such to try and prove this and that, or say that x tuner is better than somebody else, when you need to go to these places in person and make sure that they are capable of working on your car... I know serveral local shops that i wouldnt let change my oil - much less install and build motors like they say they can.

Quick Reply: thinking of supercharging